Questions about the 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brent denny

brent denny

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
I dont mind the fact that there is no decomp on this saw. Maybe thats why it starts so good. I think DTM said something to the effect of not having one helped with both emissions and power a small bit. I actually like the plastic clutch cover. It is easier to clean pitch/sap/gum off of when cutting softwoods and i'm sure it helps with weight too.

artwood

artwood

ArboristSite Operative
Why is a decomp valve even important on a saw this size? I don't even notice much difference using it on a 70 - 80cc saw. I use it just because its there & maybe will extend the life of other parts.

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
artwood said:
Why is a decomp valve even important on a saw this size? I don't even notice much difference using it on a 70 - 80cc saw. I use it just because its there & maybe will extend the life of other parts.

I don't think the decomp is a "must have" for the PS5100 but it would be a nice feature. Maybe it gets easier with break in but it takes a good strong yank to spin this saw. You need to pull the cord until it's engaged while making sure there's plenty of starter rope left. If you don't have enough cord left you have to turn it over a tad so you can get a good crisp full pull.

Every saw seems to have it's own starting idiosyncracies and this one is no different.

My 026's on the otherhand start like lawnmower engines. (very easy pulls)

However my little MS180 is like the Dolmar. It takes a good strong yank.

skwerl

skwerl

Will Climb for food
I got to try Timistall's new modified 5100 today. He just got it last night UPS from Dave Neiger and I had a big job today, so he came along to break it in a lil. ;) He ran 2.5 tanks of fuel through it today. It was stalling at an idle occassionally until I tweaked the low mix screw, then it ran fine.

Brand new on it's first day, the Neigerized 5100 was about equal to the broken-in Power Ported Husky 346's. We expect it will get substantially stronger as it breaks in. My newest 346 took 10-12 tanks of fuel to hit it's stride. Both the Dolmar and the Huskies were running 18" bars and .325 chain. The Dolmar seems slightly bulkier than the lil Husky, but weight feels identical when holding them side by side.

As with the 346, a decomp is unneccessary. The Dolmar pulled over and started easily. My mother could start this saw without a decomp.

Tim should be on here later to give his opinions. I only tried it for 1-2 cuts.