Questions regarding Husqvarna 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I measured the squish and got a reading of ~ 0.030 with a base gasget, which is fairly tight imo. :confused: I would of wanted to end up 0.025 without the gasget since it's going to be a work saw and not a cookie cutter.
Not sure what i'm going to do at this point.

Oh and there seems to be a nick on the middle of the piston, perhaps someone used too long of a spark plug?
A random piece of something may have passed through. It's not uncommon. As long as the sides aren't damaged. Make sure you check the crank and bearings good. Make sure it didn't come from there.

I suspect your measurement may be off. Those usually have plenty of room to lose the gasket. Also, more compression and a lower exhaust will make more torque, not more RPM.

Measure it without the gasket using some thin electronics solder. Hit it several times.

We want some pics!

Now thinking about it, looking trough spark plug whole the middle of the piston was mirror clean but there was build up on the sides, so i guess that could throw off the measurement.
Piston looks nice and clean through the muffler hole but looks abit 'dry' and the spark plug is dark gray rather than 'coffe brown'. But it seems to run fine other than slight bog off idle when warming up the saw.

But yeah i'm gonna take it apart tomorrow and get some pictures aswell.

Since we are talking about the 350, I had something happen today that really floored me. I could not start it and checked the spark. It was OK (I thought) but really wet. I had a spare carb and changed that out. It still refused to start, so I decided to change the plug. It started on the second pull and runs perfectly. It's the first time I have had a plug fail in ten years with this engine or any other.

I decided to keep the old carb. Heck, it might still be OK. Things like this baffle me. :crazy:

Took it apart today, everything looked decent inside. I re-sealed the bottom cup and measured squish, got roughly 0.020, i did get 0.015 at some point but i think i squeezed my caliper to hard. It's tighter than i wanted but i'm gonna go for it!
If i end up ruining the top end i'll just get chinise 45mm big bore. And i decided to seal the plastic intake clamp with threebond. Not only will it literally glue it but also act as a filler so it took me considerable amount of force to lock the clamp, which is good sign.
One thing that surprised me was the piston finger, that thing was so damn tight!!!! I literally had to hammer it out and later on hammer it back in, couldn't get it to lineup...ugh

At this point just letting the threebond cure a little on the intake and then going to install the cylinder.

Took it apart today, everything looked decent inside. I re-sealed the bottom cup and measured squish, got roughly 0.020, i did get 0.015 at some point but i think i squeezed my caliper to hard. It's tighter than i wanted but i'm gonna go for it!
If i end up ruining the top end i'll just get chinise 45mm big bore. And i decided to seal the plastic intake clamp with threebond. Not only will it literally glue it but also act as a filler so it took me considerable amount of force to lock the clamp, which is good sign.
One thing that surprised me was the piston finger, that thing was so damn tight!!!! I literally had to hammer it out and later on hammer it back in, couldn't get it to lineup...ugh

At this point just letting the threebond cure a little on the intake and then going to install the cylinder.
Piston finger?

I have used a regular hose clamp on the intake in a pinch.I cut the excess length off with a hacksaw and filed it smooth.I angled it down below the antivibe for the cylinder with the clamp bolt facing down.Can still tighten it installed if need be with an open end 5/16 or 8 mm although it gets a little in the way of the cylinder base screw.Not ideal but it can work.

Been working on a 345/350 conversion.I installed a .050 3/8 Total 18 inch bar. Pulls good through turkey oak,noodling and cutting rounds.I was somewhat surprised how well it runs with the larger chain.

I got mine assembled today and it lives! Still need to vacuum/pressure test it thought. Final squish 0.020, which is fine.
Fuel line had cracks so ended up replacing that. There's a little bog off idle sometimes but it's probably the carburetor ( have not cleaned it yet).

the bar bolts were abit crooked so i tried to straighten em with a hammer, once i gave em a tap they dissepeared on me, ****ers fell into the oil tank with the metal reinforcement piece attached to em.
Lost half of my nerves but i managed to get em back in the hole, not sure if they are going to hold or dissapear on me again. :D

All and all it makes sense why everyone loves working on 350s, taking 'em apart and assembling is easy and fast. Surely my favorite chassis now.

McMaster.com has the narrow 5/16 screw hose clamps they come in the correct size. The boot is 1 3/4” and I’m not sure if the 1 3/4” x 5/16 wide band clamp will fit it or the next size up. I ordered the 1 3/4” clamps to see if they fit.

Latest posts

Back