Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok I have a few questions about milling and saws. First a little background I have been watching for a long while now and decided to buy a 455 rancher for firewood/mess around with, some freehand milling just to get some time with a chainsaw under my belt til I can sell one of my guitars and buy a big saw and mill. Tonight I went to freehand a little sample off a silver maple and my chainsaw chain suddenly stopped and no matter which way I pushed the guard it just would not turn the chain turns out it was the brake catching but for the life of me I could not loosen it enough to get it back on the drum and get it to line up with all the other holes so I took out the spring and went back to my log and messed around some more, now I have no safety handle but oh well for now. Now I don't want to start a big one on here but I have a Stihl dealer and a Husky dealer within 20 minutes of me and after looking at my husky saw I question how much of a beating it will take. Can you guys ring in on the pros and cons of each brand for milling now I should tell ya my dad is a stihl guy and has been very impressed with his and at times so have I. I have seen postings where guys say that the 395xp is (perfect for milling Rpm's wise ) or the guy at procut says 3120xp will mill anything some say its a stihl ms 660 or 880 I really want to make a good choice and am willing to spend a few extra buck either way to get a good saw that will last a long time. I want also would like to see some feet per minute ratings on different types of wood along with the types of chain your using. I know I was surprised how long it took me to shave off 2"x12" of silver maple with a chisel chain. Any info greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Latest posts

Back