Queston for long SRT asends.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does a ropes strength decrease as you get further from the end. For example; If you have a 200 ft rope with 200 lbs of weight hanging 50 ft from it, would there be more strain if the weight was on the end of the 200 ft rope? If so would the difference matter with a 7400lb rated rope?
It's the physics of it I'm wondering about. Does stretching or some other variable have to be figured into the equation for a really long ascend or descend on a single line?(Like 150 to 200 ft)
Before anyone flames me for asking a dumb question, let me say I'm a tree trimmer not a rocket scientist. Thanks. Beastmaster.

Does a ropes strength decrease as you get further from the end. For example; If you have a 200 ft rope with 200 lbs of weight hanging 50 ft from it, would there be more strain if the weight was on the end of the 200 ft rope? If so would the difference matter with a 7400lb rated rope?
It's the physics of it I'm wondering about. Does stretching or some other variable have to be figured into the equation for a really long ascend or descend on a single line?(Like 150 to 200 ft)
Before anyone flames me for asking a dumb question, let me say I'm a tree trimmer not a rocket scientist. Thanks. Beastmaster.

The weight rating should be the same from end to end minus weakness knots cause!!

I guess you could subtract the 10 or 20 pounds the rope weighs? On a rope rated at 7400 lbs, thats rather insignificant.

Back