Quick bearing questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
replacing bearings on my 046 rebuild today. I didn't take detailed enough pictures on tear down, so 2 newbie questions:

The one with this notch... that's the clutch side, right?

IMG_8482.JPG

And the "exposed ball" side faces towards the rod, right? So oil gets to the balls? Stated differently, the plastic cages face out, towards the clutch and flywheel, right?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!

--JC

Jon this will be a learning experience for me too.....but here's what I "think" you need to look for. The case half with the crank bore that is stepped takes the plain bearing with the open side to the inside. The other case half has a smooth bore (clutch side I believe) that the bearing in your photo goes into. That flange on the bearing is where you put the crank seal. Other seal seats on the stepped bore of the flywheel side. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But if you look at it from that perspective it may become more clear to you just how it goes together! Good luck

Yessir--I eventually figured out with my old bearings which side went "out"--it's the only side the seal can be pressed into. For the clutch side, anyway.

IMG_8486.JPG

Some searching on AS found that with a bearing that doesn't have that extra step, the opinions ranged from one way to another. I went with the "let the balls get oil" approach.

Both bearings are in the cases, both case halves in the oven, and the crank is in the freezer.

I figure if I screw it up too badly, I'll just have to buy some more parts, no big deal.

Been taking pictures along the way; plan to post one big thread once it's all back together and running. :)

Yessir--I eventually figured out with my old bearings which side went "out"--it's the only side the seal can be pressed into. For the clutch side, anyway.

View attachment 596566

Some searching on AS found that with a bearing that doesn't have that extra step, the opinions ranged from one way to another. I went with the "let the balls get oil" approach.
Stihl pto bearings 026-460 have that step which does indeed face out as you mentioned. The bearing itself is proprietary in that the inner race is radiused to allow the seal. Stihl bearings 064-660 are proprietary as well but don't have the extra groove. They still have an inner race that allows for the seal.
IMG_2744.JPG
660 pto bearing showing inner race difference.
IMG_2745.JPG
660 bearing showing plastic cage (points to inside of case)

Flywheel side-- balls toward case makes the most sense as you mentioned.

Latest posts

Back