Quick Locust question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugo420

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just scored a bunch of locust logs from my neighbor that have been downed for about three years. They are anywheres from 6-12" round and 4-8' lengths. I just bucked and split a bunch this weekend. Are they okay to burn now since they've been cut down for so long?

I would split and dry for a little while at least. Bot black and honey locust are dense wood and dry slow like oak.

If you burn scrounged wood a lot, one thing you can do is get a cheap moisture meter, I've seen some for ~$30 and better ones for ~$120

With the cheap one you take them to a lumber yard and ask to compare to a high end unit to see how much they are off. But all you want to know is if it is near 20%.

I would split and dry for a little while at least. Bot black and honey locust are dense wood and dry slow like oak.

If you burn scrounged wood a lot, one thing you can do is get a cheap moisture meter, I've seen some for ~$30 and better ones for ~$120

With the cheap one you take them to a lumber yard and ask to compare to a high end unit to see how much they are off. But all you want to know is if it is near 20%.

+ 1 on that post. I have honey locust that was about 18 inches Diameter when I split it last winter. I burnt some the other night and towards the inner wood it started hissing out moisture. I seasoned this stuff in the Kansas sun 1 year after splitting. Locust is a very, very hard wood,and dries slow. I would give her a bit to cure out.

Especially if it isnt split it will retain moisture, as the wood doesnt have the surface area it would if it was split. Plus, splitting then curing opens up the heartwood to start the drying from the middle as well as the outside.

Thanks for the replies. All the bark has fallen off and looks like it has been off for a while. I'll try a bit and see what happens. Thanks again.

Back