quick question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the combustion in the cylinder and after the piston starts down, there is a mechanically timed purge of just air that enters the combustion chamber to finish evacuating the cylinder of combustion gases before the true air-fuel intake charge enters the combustion chamber.

After the combustion in the cylinder and after the piston starts down, there is a mechanically timed purge of just air that enters the combustion chamber to finish evacuating the cylinder of combustion gases before the true air-fuel intake charge enters the combustion chamber.

Why do people not want these saws. Say for portting reasons and how do you get rid of it if it's a bad thing.

Because they hear something new, they don't know what it means so they fear it. There is nothing inherently bad or wrong with strato engines.

Not sure what the question is??

Sorry I have not herd of this before were does it get this air to push out the exhaust. carb cylinder.:msp_confused:

Sorry I have not herd of this before were does it get this air to push out the exhaust. carb cylinder.:msp_confused:

The extra charge of air comes in thru seperate ducts, usually around the sides of the cylinder. The strato charge comes in similar to the fuel/air intake charge, just at a different time.

Cleaner emissions more power smoother running

And you totally forgot much higher thermal efficiency (-> fuel mileage) because of greatly reducing the amount of fuel/air charge that goes directly from the transfers to the exhaust. Without doing work.

Some strato saws have really impressive endurance on a tankful. Not to mention, you can pack in much less fuel when cutting some distance from the road.

I was in the market for either a 357XP or 372XP and read this site a bunch before purchasing. I looked as much as I could for comparisons of strato (X-torq) versus non-strato (no X-torq) especially for the 372XP. I couldn't find anyone complaining that the X-torq 372 was any less powerful than the non X-torq earlier 372s so I bought a brand new 372XP X-torq in 2012 and will never look back. Yes the saw is wider but it is close in weight to my 20+ year old 262XP and I'm glad I got the 372 and not the 357. I think some guys have complained about needing more pulls when cold starting which could be annoying when up in a tree. I think it might take 5 or 6 pulls when my saw is cold before it fires, but after pushing choke in it's one more pull, then one additional and saw is running and warming up at high idle. After saw is hot, it always starts on first pull. If saw is "warm" (not quite cold, but not hot either), if it doesn't start on 2nd pull I pull the choke out, push it in to set hight idle, and she cranks right up. I have zero complaints... I think if I were to have someone climbing use it, warm the saw up on the ground and send it up... I would think that would be a good idea for any saw going up to a climber. If I were to buy another saw, next thing I would consider would be autotune / M-tronic ... I don't have the skill to tune a saw, so autotune would be a great thing for a guy like me. I do have an excellent servicing dealer and this site... so I wasn't too afraid to get a saw that could use a tune every now and then. Good luck!

372xp_1.jpg

372xp_2.jpg

Back