Rain and Climbing gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what-a-stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tomorrows removal has to be done rain or shine and, as my luck has it, tomorrows forecast is 80% chance of rain. This will be the first time having my gear out in the rain, will this damage my saddle, ropes, etc.? I'm spiking the tree and I use a wire-core flipline and I heard that if the line gets wet it could rust inside without the owner knowing, causing it to fail, is this common?

Stainless steel. As far as the rest of the gear, mine's soaked with sweat all summer. Just hang them up to dry when your done.
Phil

Last edited:
No worries. Just make sure u dry everything. I have some old rake handles that lay across the bottom cord of the garage trusses that I drape my ropes from. I then hang my saddle from the mini step ladder I use to hang the ropes. Sometimes I turn on a small fan to move some air around. Just use some extra care on a wet tree. With spurs it not really matter to much. Have fun.

I just climbed and wrecked out 85 foot ash in the rain last week, it had to get done. The bark was alittle slick so I wore gloves with the rubber coated palms. As far as your gear, it shouldnt hurt it. Just hang it to dry. I always hang my ropes in the shop in long loose coils to let the air get at them. Its calling for rain here tomorrow too and I will be going out rain or shine to try and knock some jobs off the list.

Tomorrows removal has to be done rain or shine and, as my luck has it, tomorrows forecast is 80% chance of rain. This will be the first time having my gear out in the rain, will this damage my saddle, ropes, etc.? I'm spiking the tree and I use a wire-core flipline and I heard that if the line gets wet it could rust inside without the owner knowing, causing it to fail, is this common?
Thousands of climbers have meet there fate due to rain drops hitting there flipline. Stay home have a mimosa, and wait till the skies clear. We have at least 15 load/climb lines and 3 saddles that get put away wet five days a week all winter long, never had a problem.

Our stuff is wet all the time as well. The dry room in the office is usually full of wet clothes, rain gear, climbing gear and boots. It has two heaters and a fan and a lot of the gear doesn't get dry for the next day.

Ropes are usually dirty because they get dragged through the mud. Saws don't run well because water gets in the gas jugs. Crew is hornery. Bosses are #####y because productivity is down. Working in the rain is great.

We've never had problems with equipment failure. Where we have had a few problems are slime covered branches slipping through guys' grip and breaking stuff below.

agree with all the above, no worries with getting your gear wet and may actually wash out some of the sweat! +1 to knots binding up tight in the rain, go with bowlines as suggested. Expect slippery trees in the rain depending on what you're climbing, +2 if it's sappy. Take a little extra care, have a second TIP at all times so you aren't relying on your placement so much. Climbing in the rain does suck, but I end up doing it pretty often :-(

Shaun

Just did a job in the rain 2 days ago, forgot to hang my gear out. Loaded it back into my gear bag and now they badly stink. Took them out today and will hang it up throughout the weekend. Hopefully the smell goes away before the start of my work week.

By the way, would it be wise to hose down our gear after working in the rain or occasionally do it to get our sweat out? Or would that affect our gear?

Throw it in the washing machine. The newer, low-suds machines with no agitator up the middle are the bomb. Saddles, ropes.. toss 'em in there. Just hang them up to dry, the clothes dryer gets too hot, and on the "low heat" settings it will take longer than if you just hang them up to dry.

Throw it in the washing machine. The newer, low-suds machines with no agitator up the middle are the bomb. Saddles, ropes.. toss 'em in there. Just hang them up to dry, the clothes dryer gets too hot, and on the "low heat" settings it will take longer than if you just hang them up to dry.

Thanks, will be doing that from time to time.

Latest posts

Back