Ran my Echo 490 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I was in medium wood and got out the cs490 mostly because I didn't need a big saw. I'm guessing more than a month since being run. She cranked right up and cut very well. How ever it sure looked funny with that 20 inch bar from Tractor Supply. The bar and chain isn't as bad as I figured it would be. It's one of those store brand combos. Does anyone know what company is making the store brand for Tractor Supply?
My guess is China made.
Since I file my chains and keep them sharp so far I don't have any complaints.
This saw came with a 20 inch Echo b&c. My 026 Sthil had a 20 inch bar and the saws cut very much alike.
Since I flush cut stumps the longer bar really helps. About 4 to 6 wedges and reaching way past stump center is handy.
I began testing Echo in 2015 and so far am happy. A few years ago I tried a box store Ryobi. It lasted 5 days but I got a full refund. A very light saw and was impressed on the first date. I bought a cs310 but sold it at a loss to move it out of the herd. Replaced with a cs352 and it's a lot better saw. At this time I've got 3 Echo cs 352,490, and 590. Very satisfied. I'm running 3 Sthils 024, 026 and a modified Sthil 029 which really seems bigger than 54 cc. The Husqvarna saws look good, even the small ones but I've never used one. I noticed even the low end Husky 120 has a metal chain catcher. The plastic ones suk. I loose a chain very rarely. Probably less than once a year BUT the FIRST TIME I lost a chain with the cs352 that plastic chain catcher snapped off and my dealer let me walk out with a broken unsafe saw. I'm a war veteran and treat me like that only one time in a life time and let me they saw, we never forget who you fought for. I made the repair and it's never happened again. 10 dollars part or not. You are friend or foe. Honest or a liar. 5 year warranty???
But on another note. The Echo saws are pretty good saws for a small semi retired operator. I'm to old, to tired and to cranky to switch now. Anyone who remembers the Tareton ( may be spelled wrong) Cigarette commercial understands this comment. I'd rather fight than switch. :). And like most tree workers we may fight and still not switch. Men who work hard all day ain't always easy going. :)))

Yes that's what it states. Is that a good brand? Made in China?
How does it compare to Oregon?
So far it's not to bad but this is an expiermient.
I'm considering a 16 inch bar and chain. If this were a 3/8 drive instead of .325 I'd test a 18 inch poulan. I've got plenty of those. I'm wondering how much better it would cut with a shorter bar but my thinking is the excesses bar extends past limbs anyway. The shorter bar makes it easier to handle in a tree top when limbing.

Latest posts

Back