Ran out of bar and chain oil before gas...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatermark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK, I run a Husqvarna 372xp. The other day I ran out of bar and chain oil before I ran out of gas. I think I probably made about 2 cuts (18" dia. log) before I realized what was happening. Just about when I noticed some smoke from overheating, the gas ran out. This is the first time this happened to me as I am always particular about keeping my bar and chain well oiled. Question is, would this short amount of time create enough damage to the bar and chain such that it should be replaced? How about the saw's clutch and drive sprocket? Any experience or info would be great. Thanks.

oiler

oz nailed it but if you are cutting real hard wood with a long bar you may just have to fill the oiler more often. American beach is a good example we had some so bad we had to take the saw out of the cut and let the chain oil up :bowdown: 2. grease the clutch bearing :yoyo:

Thanks a lot for the input fellers. I'll have to admit, I have been trying to fine tune the oiler adjustment. If I can remember correctly, I think the saw came from the shop with the oiler adjustment screw two turns out from the closed position. The manual for the 372xp recommends this adjustment for up to an 18" bar. I cut mostly beech and maple for firewood and this just didn't seem enough, plus I've got a 20" bar. Three turns out was recommended for this bar length.

At this adjustment I seemed to get sufficient oil. I put about two tanks through like this, each time the gas went first. Not sure why the third tank was different. Maybe I under filled the oil tank just a little compared to the gas tank or maybe the adjustment screw moved a little...not sure (the gas did run out just after about two cuts from when I suspect the oil ran out). I'm going to keep an eye on this closely and check the oil level often.

What I'm really trying to get a better handle on is the impact of what happened. I know excess heat can do major damage to equipment mechanically. All I can find from different manual (checked Stihl's too for reference) is that it's bad to run out of oil, and damage can occur to the bar and chain relatively quickly. They don't say much else. I did see a little smoke while cutting, and the bar was pretty hot but once it cooled I couldn't really see any much else but a little brown discoloration on the chain teeth. I'd like to be able to tell if I did enough damage to have the possibilty of the chain snapping in operation, or if I did damage to other saw parts like the clutch or drive sprocket (will grease that for sure!). Any thoughts or experience on that?

Thanks again for the tips!

mark

Personally, I after reading what others have to say about running the saw out of gas, I have made a real effort to stop cutting before I run out of oil or gas. I usually stop when I am starting to feel a little fatigued and let the saw idle for a bit. When I check the tanks, they are almost empty, so I don't end up running the saw out of gas(and therefore lean for a few moments). I also like the idea of letting it cool down just a bit before turning it off after a big cut.

Will it destroy my saws to run them out of gas? For the little extra cutting I would get from them running until empty, I am no longer willing to find out.

One thing missing from this equation.... What Bar and Chain Oil are you using? Is it winter weight or summer weight virgin or reclaimed oil? Just a couple questions that need to be answered.
Scott

CuttinScott, good point. I use Husqvarna's bar and chain oil. I figure they probably design the oiler system to handle the viscosity of their oil, so I go with that. I haven't found Husqvarna bar and chain oil in different weights (viscosities).

As far as running out of gas, I never considered how the air/fuel mixture might change right at the end. How would you then completely empty a tank and carburetor for longer term storage?

mark

I am no expert but i imagine that there is a difference in running out of gas at wide open throttle and running out with the saw idleing.

Splunk said:
I am no expert but i imagine that there is a difference in running out of gas at wide open throttle and running out with the saw idleing.

I was referring to running out of gas in the middle of a big cut. I leave my saws with fuel in them when I am not using them. I just start them every month or so if I can't get out to cut. I haven't gone long enough without running them to ever have to worry about it. Plenty of information about what to do already on the site.

As far as running out of gas, I never considered how the air/fuel mixture might change right at the end. How would you then completely empty a tank and carburetor for longer term storage?

Bama I was responding to the above qoute from boatermark.

So, getting back to my real question...as a result of running out of the oil and making a couple of dry cuts, how can I tell if any real damage was done to the bar, chain, drive sprocket, clutch, etc.? The last thing I want is something blowing apart as a result of fatigue from heat stress...especially the chain. Any experience or information with this?

mark

boatermark said:
So, getting back to my real question...as a result of running out of the oil and making a couple of dry cuts, how can I tell if any real damage was done to the bar, chain, drive sprocket, clutch, etc.? The last thing I want is something blowing apart as a result of fatigue from heat stress...especially the chain. Any experience or information with this?

mark

If you keep doing it, I would imagine that over time you are doing some harm, but like Ozflea said, if you turn up your oiler, problem is solved. As to why it happened, sounds like some possibilities were already mentioned. If it has happened only once or twice, then I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck.

I seriously doubt you burned it bad enough to cause the chain to snap. Newbies run dull chain all the time until it gets smoking hot and usually the worst that happens is the chain stops cutting and loses its temper, making it hard to keep sharp.

You probably ran a bit more life off your bar, but nothing to stay awake at night over. What I'd do [and have done before] is, until you are certain it's all worked out, just don't fill the fuel tank quite all the way. Sounds silly, I know, but I've done it before and then I don't forget to stop early. On the other hand, never had the problem on my 036.

ran my chain dry before finding problem with 372 oiler

I also ran the chain and bar dry and hot ( as indicated by the brown chain, paint on bar wearing prematurely and smoke) during a cut on boxwood. It turns out that the oil pump needs a bit of attention. Does anyone know what the long term effects would be to the chain and bar? I've taken a sharpening stone to the bar to flatten the edge and cleaned and resharpened the chain. Is the chain at risk of breakage? Thanks for any replies.

maplegum said:
I also ran the chain and bar dry and hot ( as indicated by the brown chain, paint on bar wearing prematurely and smoke) during a cut on boxwood. It turns out that the oil pump needs a bit of attention. Does anyone know what the long term effects would be to the chain and bar? I've taken a sharpening stone to the bar to flatten the edge and cleaned and resharpened the chain. Is the chain at risk of breakage? Thanks for any replies.

Usually not... Most of us have down it more than once...

boatermark said:
OK, I run a Husqvarna 372xp. The other day I ran out of bar and chain oil before I ran out of gas. I think I probably made about 2 cuts (18" dia. log) before I realized what was happening. Just about when I noticed some smoke from overheating, the gas ran out. This is the first time this happened to me as I am always particular about keeping my bar and chain well oiled. Question is, would this short amount of time create enough damage to the bar and chain such that it should be replaced? How about the saw's clutch and drive sprocket? Any experience or info would be great. Thanks.
As many has said must likely no damage done. The chain may stretch a bit more. Looks like you did all you could do with your bar. Saw's clutch and drive sprocket. Naw, not that fast.
Sounds like you like to go by what your Manual says. about oil adjustments.
I do it a little differently. Rule of thumb I go by is.. One tank of gas, equals One tank of bar oil. I always seem to have some bar oil left in the tank when I run out of gas. To me thats good. I may use more bar oil then the books says.
But I am happy with it.

manual said:
I do it a little differently. Rule of thumb I go by is.. One tank of gas, equals One tank of bar oil. I always seem to have some bar oil left in the tank when I run out of gas. To me thats good. I may use more bar oil then the books says.
But I am happy with it.

That is my exact thinking as well!!!! Bar oil is cheap!!!
Andy

Just IMHO-
You caught the dry bar/chain soon enough that it did no hurt. Old Homelite Zipsaw I had was manual-only lubrication. Pump didn't always work and sometime I forgot to pump while cutting. Got hot bar and smoke as a reminder, kinda like the wife uses the smoke detector to signal that dinner's done. The 3/8 chains never failed from that.

Back