Rancher 50

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trever

GB mill 076 Super Stihl
Reaction score
I have a Husky Rancher 50 that was given to me. The cylinder and piston I was told are gouged and scored. Can you re sleeve the cylinder? How much if you can? I am new to the site. Thank you.

you can't have it resleeved as it is nikasil coated aluminum. The 50 shares the same chassis as a 51, 55, and 55 rancher. Best bet is to find a good used jug and piston.

do a search on here for "cylinder repair". Gypo Logger made a post about removing the scarred aluminum from the cylinder with muratic acid.

Steve

Muratic acid is great for disolving aluminum. If you have a cast iron cylinder, and you toast a piston so that some of it is stuck to the cylinder wall, muratic acid will eat it right off and leave the cylinder alone.

I don't think I'd want to use it in an aluminum cylinder!

Freakingstang said:
The 50 shares the same chassis as a 51, 55, and 55 rancher. Best bet is to find a good used jug and piston.

Does this mean that the piston and jug of any of these will mount on the 50 Rancher. I know that they all are 32 mm stroke. I have one with the same problem.

Dan

BlueRidgeMark said:
Muratic acid is great for disolving aluminum. If you have a cast iron cylinder, and you toast a piston so that some of it is stuck to the cylinder wall, muratic acid will eat it right off and leave the cylinder alone.

So long as you keep the acid on the inside of the bore, it won't hurt anything. Nikasil and cast iron aren't harmed by it. Just keep it off the exterior of the cylinder, and it works great.

Dan Forsh said:
Does this mean that the piston and jug of any of these will mount on the 50 Rancher. I know that they all are 32 mm stroke. I have one with the same problem.

Dan

Yep, I have a 51 on a 55 chassis and a 55 on a 50 chassis. They all interchange, but the newer 51 and 55's have a better carb and filter configuration with the air injection. Those all interchange too.

Steve

BlueRidgeMark said:

Never seen an aluminum cylinder....I think the rings might eat the aluminum. Most 2 stroke engines are coated with either Chrome or Nikasil. The later is the better and more expensive of the two.

Thank you all

Thank you all for responding. I will try the acid sometime, and aybe do some mods to it.

Freakingstang said:
Never seen an aluminum cylinder....I think the rings might eat the aluminum. Most 2 stroke engines are coated with either Chrome or Nikasil. The later is the better and more expensive of the two.

"Rescue" any of the Home Depot and Lowes $99 chainsaws from a dumpster; they all have aluminum alloy bores. Yes, the bores get ripped up pretty good. Not sure, but I think (from what I've seen by just looking in the plug hole) the black and yellow small Macs (3200 series?) have non-coated bores.

Latest posts

Back