Rapid dry firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty big greenhouse that can store 200 cords. also puzzled as to what will circulate the air inside the stack.

a skid steer isn't going to just turn the pile easily on 200 cords of wood.

If I spread 200 cords of wood out 2 feet deep, I end up with a pile 16,000 square feet. that's only a third acre.

If i stack it 6 feet tall on top of pallets, i only need about 300 pallets, which I then get to separate cuz the loader will destroy them all when it comes time to get the wood out.

but if i use a 1000 cfm fan, i can replace the air in the stack every 10 minutes. the hard part is figuring out something that won't be crushed by the wood, or hurt by the skidsteer, or is so cheap i don't care.

Still, your best and cheapest route is to keep the piles low. Last year our 225 cord pile was 6-7 feet high and while the drying was ok in previous years it was not so good last year because of all the rain we received.
This year we are going to keep the piles 4-5 ft and see if Mother Nature will play the game with us. Good luck !

You got about 50 tons of water there to evaporate! That is a lot of BTUs of energy. Short of a kiln with both heat and lots of forced air circulation, I dont think it will be "seasoned to satisfaction" anyway. Save the money and effort spent and sell it as green wood and you will have fewer customer complaints. Split and stacked red oak here takes two years to dry properly; maple, ash, yellow birch are good to go in one year. Wood dry enough to burn in the old style stoves is nothing but aggravation in the new EPA stoves unless you are really firing hard.

Back