Ratcheting bollard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirrel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone used the Ratcheting bollard (a lifting/lowering device similar to the Good rigging system but only $433 instead of $3000):confused:

I was always told that type of bollard would not lift very high plus it has no MA making it very difficult to raise heavy pcs without additional rigging. Price is right though.

JPS probably knows more on this subject I would bet...

If it won't lift very heavy loads, why not just rig a 3-1 with pulleys? The biggest problem I saw with my one experience using the GRCS was how slow it was. It took forever to lift a 500lb lead off the roof. I think I may have been more comfortable taking a smaller piece and being able to lift it quicker using rigging and a good rope man. 400lb + lifts shouldn't be too difficult using a 3-1 if your rope man isn't a tiny guy.

It took so long because you kept arguing with me on how to do it, I wanted to go bigger. :D

That is where the advantage is, once the crew knows how to use it, you can work as big as the crew is able to crank. A good tip tie, high rigging point and a good hinge. The one cut takes a lesser toll on climbers body, and takes less time over all.

The ratcheting bollard is a step above the PW if you don't have to cut a knotch in the anchor tree to seet the bollard. You get a small MA from the lever action of the bar and need a 3rd man to tail the line.

IMO the advanctages of The Winch are well worth the intitial capitol. Just the ability to have one man operating it is enough for me. Keep the third man dragging till you need him to grab a tip as the load comes down.

I bought a used bollard and have had problems with it. A spring keeps breaking and allows the drum to freewheel. I never got to try it with a load as the spring broke when I was training groundmen. Apparantly the origional owner had the same problem and that is why they put it on consignment at a climbing shop.

I've never used the good system. I have a Hobbs LD that I bought used for $900 and can't say enough good things about it. It's simple to use, much easier for new groundman to understand than a figure 8 or port-a-wrap, and a real work horse.

more on bollard

The ratcheting bollard is listed at $433 at Bishopco.com. can supposedly lift 500#s but I am trying to find out more before buying one or buying a good or a hobbs lifting device

Re: who is JPS

Originally posted by Squirrel
Menchofer who is JPS?
John Paul Sanborn. I started calling him JPS way back in the early days of this site when we also had John Paul McMillin posting on a regular basis. I simply typed JPS or JPM rather than type out their whole names.

Squirrel

If you have any questions concerning the GRCS just ask JPS.

I am going to make THE PURCHASE soon. Even though it is an expensive purchase, I do believe it to be well worth it.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
JPS is the village idiot.

Now why would JPS say this about JPS?

We look to you for advice and encouragement and leadership.....

Squirrel,

The $400 device is tempting because of the low price. While I'm not one to just follow the crowd because they seem to know where they're going, I do join once in a while.

I probably know at least twenty people who own ratcheting lowering devices. Not one of them owns one of the $400 devices. Take it for what that might be worth. Why would everyone of the climbers own a tool that costs anywhere from four to six times the price use them? From what I've seen they're worth every hard earned dollar.

I've looked at the $400 device at trade shows. I consider myself a good arborist but I also consider myself an adequate weldor and fabricator. Whenever I see welding that is worse than what I can produce, I'm suspicious. If a pro shop can;t do better welding and fabricating than I can in my garage, I won't buy the tools.

By the way, I don't own a GRCS or Hobbs. I rent one from friends or hire them to run theirs on my jobs when needed. The GRCS is one sweet tool!

Tom

Latest posts

Back