Ratcheting device for pulling logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headleyj

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a situation where such a device would be useful. I have a 40hp 4wd tractor for equipment and that's it. I'll be pulling 30-32" red oak using a 20ton snatch block and large cable. I'd like to have the ability to keep cable taught, unhook trctor, reposition and rehook. I could always put a 2nd hook on the cable and tieoff to another tree, but wondered if such a ratcheting snatch block or something existed. Figured ya'll would know if it did. ANy info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

You can use a cable grab, the type used for pulling large wire. Those tools will handle up to 1/2" or so wire rope at around 5 tons. I got mine in 1974 and use it on 3/8" wire rope.

hey thanks! I looked these up as I've never seen one before and looks like they just use compression force to "grab" onto the wire rope? So I'd just let the pressure off gently and allw the grab to wedge itself into the snatch block then?

is this what you're talkng about?
http://www.sapsis-rigging.com/Merch...I&Product_Code=03-02-88-0009&Category_Code=06

View attachment 209031

209031-klein31612%5B1%5D-jpg

Last edited:
I have not been on AS much since Thanksgiving and I was wondering how everything worked out. The cable grab I use is similar but clamps the cable over a much longer length and doesn't squeeze it like the one pictured. If you don't load the grip too much it will fall off when you let off tension. Otherwise it needs a whack with a hammer. I don't know what you mean about letting it run to the snatch block.

I have not been on AS much since Thanksgiving and I was wondering how everything worked out. The cable grab I use is similar but clamps the cable over a much longer length and doesn't squeeze it like the one pictured. If you don't load the grip too much it will fall off when you let off tension. Otherwise it needs a whack with a hammer. I don't know what you mean about letting it run to the snatch block.

Well i havent tackled the logs that prompted this thread cause the soil has been too soft and im accessing the logs through another guys trail and dont wanna tear the hello out of it.

I think i have a plan. Use 2 tractors! ;) seriously! Once the ground freezes im gonna give it a shot.

Back