Rayco RG1631 stump grinder 31 horse Vanguard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny marks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site. I have just purchased a Rayco RG1631 stump grinding machine, which was in need of some maintenance. The usual seller hype assurance, that all maintenance was up to date, when in fact, it was well short. I carried out all the hourly maintenance intervals, as specified in the owners manual. Everything except the Poly belt replacement, this being hard to access, as I could not remove the Electric magnetic clutch. I assume it has to be removed, before I can access the Poly Belt. I also have a noisy bearing in the clutch, that I would like to replace also.

My first question is

1. Can I replace the Poly belt, without having to remove the clutch.

2. Has any one, replaced the bearings in the clutch, without having to replace the whole clutch unit.

3. What is the safest way to remove the clutch assembly, without destroying the Poly belt multi pulley, attached to the clutch.

4. My model RG1631 has the air vents cut into the clutch guard cover. It also has a cooling fan (similar to alternator on car) attached to the clutch, and a sealed bearing.

Some first hand field experience of this machine's overall performance would also be welcomed and appreciated. Your assistance with this, will be very helpful and very well received.

Kind Regards
Danny

Hi Danny,

The poly chain belt is what turns the cutter wheel. The belt on the engine is the drive belt. You shouldn't have to remove the clutch to replace the poly belt. The clutch has been modified as they can catch fire and that's why it is vented. You need to check the poly chain sprockets and make sure they're not sharp as they will cut the poly belt. I believe, I have the sprockets and poly belt in stock.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Hi Danny,

The poly chain belt is what turns the cutter wheel. The belt on the engine is the drive belt. You shouldn't have to remove the clutch to replace the poly belt. The clutch has been modified as they can catch fire and that's why it is vented. You need to check the poly chain sprockets and make sure they're not sharp as they will cut the poly belt. I believe, I have the sprockets and poly belt in stock.

Thanks,

Dave
770-420-6400

Thanks for the response, how much do you charge for the clutch assembly (which has the poly belt pulleys X 3 attached), the poly belt (three v - belts combined), and the large sprocket, including postage to Australia.

Thanks Danny

Hi Danny,

Thanks,

Dave
770-420-6400

Just a further note Dave, I have a duplex roller link chain that drives my cutter wheel. The engine belt is the Poly belt (three banded together V belts)

Hi Danny,

I'll check the pricing and get back with you. We have some communication errors as I didn't know you we're in AU. We call the drive belt here in the US a banded V belt. A poly chain belt is about 4 to 5 times the cost of a banded V belt and I don't want you getting something you don't need as this is a completely different style belt and shipping to you is very expensive. I'll get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Dave
770-420-6400

I wouldn't replace the poly chain belt till it's completely shot. It might last forever. But thats just me.

If the clutch is an Electric "Ogura", then it may be like the one fitted to the 25HP vanguard, in which case you can Definitely replace the bearings. Rayco used Ogura for a time (at least), and you could source from Ogura direct, or with bearings, just by P/N at any good Ind. supply. Regards, Mike

If the clutch is an Electric "Ogura", then it may be like the one fitted to the 25HP vanguard, in which case you can Definitely replace the bearings. Rayco used Ogura for a time (at least), and you could source from Ogura direct, or with bearings, just by P/N at any good Ind. supply. Regards, Mike
Thankyou for your response Mike, I will look at the Ogura range for a replacement, and or replace the bearings. Thankyou.

Latest posts

Back