Reading here has me concerned about my 359.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron11

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just replaced my 455 with a 359, I liked the weight distribution a little better and I also have wide trees to cut and liked the fact that the 359 was rated at being able to use a longer bar than the 455.

Now, after reading about E-Tech, yes my 359 is an E-Tech, is the 359 really not going to perform as the stock numbers suggest? Was it a mistake in trading the 455 for the 359? Is there anyone here happy with their stock E-Tech 359?

I don't cut wood that often but have found that trying to save money by purchasing a home owner version, (of anything) never really works for me. When I need my machinery I need it to work. So now I bought the 359 and am concerned about my decision. I don't really want to start changing things around. If I change the muffler to a non-cat version, the carb can only be adjusted a half turn or so and that may not be enough. Please advise.

Kind Regards,

Bryan

I have run about 50 gallons of gas through my 359 with out a problem. I also use the cheapest 50 to 1 mix that I can buy.
Mine is an e-tech model and i have not had a problem.
BTW after about 10 tanks of gas the motor really opened up.

Rob

Your saw will work just fine as-is, and I think that the move from the 455 to the 359 was a good one. Weight and balance are important factors to consider - your subjective opinion is what matters, since you'll be the one using the saw!

As for the cat muffler, why not leave it alone and see if you are satisfied with the saw with it still there? If you are not, it would be an easy enough task to swap it for a non-cat muffler and perhaps even a modified one for better breathing.

As for the potential need for carb adjustment, you should be able to easily remove/recenter (not sure which on that particular saw) the limter caps and then be able to make the necessary adjustment for a more free-flowing exhaust system.

Phewww!!

Thanks,

That is what I was hoping I would hear. The only disapointment I had was that the 455 was EPA Rated 'A' and the 359 was EPA rated 'B.' This only has to do with the longevity of the emission equipment right?

Some board member suggest running more oil during break in, is this still valid given the 359 has a cat?

Kind Regards,

Bryan

The cat muffler has nothing to do with choosing an oil ratio. By the way, many of us pro users run synthetic mix at 32 to 40-1. It can't hurt. Many run dino mix at 50-1 without problems, but why not go with better mix at a safer ratio?

The 359 is a great saw. The reason you dont get alot of adjustment with your fuel is the (blue)plastic limiter caps on the screws. Pop them off and gut/duel port the muffler and you will have a screamer.

The saw will pick up close to 40% by adding a couple of 1/2 or 5/8 inch holes through the cat baffle and front face of the muffler.

You will need to clip or dremil off the stops on the jets and richen things up on the HS and back the idle down, but it is realy not a big deal.

Also the saw will run a lot cooler, that cat muffler holds a lot of heat in. If it were my saw I would not wait to see the results of living with it as is.

Rich could make you up a muffler mod?

If you port the muffler and don't remove the cat, make sure you use spark arrestor screens... That cat gets super hot inside dual ports or not, and carbon particles come out red hot.

computeruser said:
Your saw will work just fine as-is, and I think that the move from the 455 to the 359 was a good one. Weight and balance are important factors to consider - your subjective opinion is what matters, since you'll be the one using the saw!

As for the cat muffler, why not leave it alone and see if you are satisfied with the saw with it still there? If you are not, it would be an easy enough task to swap it for a non-cat muffler and perhaps even a modified one for better breathing.

As for the potential need for carb adjustment, you should be able to easily remove/recenter (not sure which on that particular saw) the limter caps and then be able to make the necessary adjustment for a more free-flowing exhaust system.

As usual, computeruser hits the target. The 359 is a good saw, and way better than the 455. Some of the ones I have sold needed more richness on the low speed than was available with the limiter caps to accelerate properly. The easiest way to defeat the caps is to shave the stops with a razor blade. Then you can get full adjustment with the normal screwdriver. It will run better with the non cat muffler, which lists for around $40.

So, enjoy the saw, you made the right move.

don't worry over your 359. I got a 2159 jonsered with e-tec (same saw as 359) in Nov. I now have over 1000 tanks thru it and have had no trouble whatsoever. I plan on getting another when I reach 2000 tanks. I am a full time logger and put over 50 tanks per week thru a saw. The 359/2159 are the most popular saw in my area for woods crews.

i think you made a wise move trading.

if you had the old 55 i'd have objected but the 455 is a big diasappointment.

I had the 455.

I had the 455 and based on Husky's (15 satisfaction offer) I took it back and got the 359. I used the 455 and to me the biggest difference between it and the poulan pro (tried to save money two years ago) was that the chain oiled nicely the chain was better and it did seem to have more power, just not as much as I thought it would. After using it and reading some comments I figured I may as well spend the extra 100 bucks and do it right. The 359 felt better balanced and the maintenance seemed easier. The 359 just seemed more of 'longer' term investment than the 455. The 455 was a nice saw, the 359 just seems much better. The engine sounds and feels totally different. Anyway, thanks for the comments I feel better about the saw. Maybe in time I will make mods to it, but for now and the near future I will keep it stock. I only saw about once a year, but I want my saw to work when I need it to!

Regards,

Bryan

359 has lots of potential.

here is mine, 12 inch poplar 1.91. Muffler is modified though.

Saw took a first and second If I remember right at last couple GTG's and is even faster now with an 8 pin gear and a tweak to the intake.

Latest posts

Back