Reason to Cut - Codominant Stems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireaxman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hated to remove this. 100 foot Loblolly; the largest of the codominant stems made a nice shade over the roof of the house (good energy saver in Southeast Louisiana summers). But after watching it in Gustav and Ike we decided it had to go.

The codominant stems started at about 65 feet. This cross section was about a foot down from the union. Am I right in "Tree Forensics" to say it split this far in Katrina, but somehow stayed together and healed over? Anyway, I'm glad we got it down before the next big storm.

I don't see signs of a split.....all I see is included bark. It does reduce strength and it is the kind of defect that a cable can do a lot for.

I think the darkest brown streak in the center is pure pitch, resin, rather than included bark. But I still have the cross section, I'll split it out and see if it is indeed included bark.

I was thinking the tree split, the split filled with resin, and then the tree healed around the split.

It would be good to see the couple of blocks taken just above this one. All I see is included bark.

The photo shows at least 6 years of sound new wood on the "south" side of the photo, 3 to 4 on the "north" side, so not Katrina related.

Too bad it got cut down. Rod brace and cable would have been my first thought, but hard to tell from one shot.

RedlineIt

It would be good to see the couple of blocks taken just above this one. All I see is included bark.

The photo shows at least 6 years of sound new wood on the "south" side of the photo, 3 to 4 on the "north" side, so not Katrina related.

Too bad it got cut down. Rod brace and cable would have been my first thought, but hard to tell from one shot.

RedlineIt

Yes, I can still get you a shot of the block above this.

You guys are absolutely correct. It is included bark. Easy to see now that it has dried out a bit. The risk was obviously not as bad as I thought it was, but I am still not quite ready to concede that I want it hanging over the house during hurricane season, even braced and cabled. Let me get you a picture of the next block up tomorrow.

...I am still not quite ready to concede that I want it hanging over the house during hurricane season, even braced and cabled....
Not my choice either. So then it's time to plant replacements; better placement this time.

:)

Not my choice either. So then it's time to plant replacements; better placement this time.

:)

Brings to mind another question - not to sidetrack my own thread, but ...

All of the pines in this subdivision are close grown, Loblolly, many skinny as a rail, most approaching 100 feet, 80 to 100 years old. This tree in question for instance was 65 feet of clear stem before the canopy and only 24" at the butt. Katrina, Gustav, Ike, and a recent freak snow storm have each taken their toll on the close growth forest. Each new event takes down a few more.

I know close growth pine is not good in a subdivision. But if we re-planted Loblolly in the now heavily thinned stand, with plenty of sun, more "Open" grown, would it be a wise choice? They grow wonderfully fast down here (I have seen mature trees gain 1.5" DBH per year in a fertilized, watered lawn). Urban Forestry Council is advising Live Oak, Cypress, Hickory, Pecan, Magnolia, etc. for replanting, but Loblolly would fill out and up a lot quicker. "Open Grown", would they be windfirm?

Hated to remove this. 100 foot Loblolly; the largest of the codominant stems made a nice shade over the roof of the house (good energy saver in Southeast Louisiana summers). But after watching it in Gustav and Ike we decided it had to go.

The codominant stems started at about 65 feet. This cross section was about a foot down from the union. Am I right in "Tree Forensics" to say it split this far in Katrina, but somehow stayed together and healed over? Anyway, I'm glad we got it down before the next big storm.

We lost two beautiful Loblolly pines on campus in Hurricane Ike. They were the biggest specimens we had one was a 100ft the other slightly over (I'll post pictures tomorrow), yet a specimen that was co-dominant from just above the base (that probably should not have been planted in the first place) survived although it had been braced about ten years previously. On a previous occasion I had contested the trees viability given that it was at the end of a parking lot.

Pretty Ironic. Although the height of the other two brought wind sail into play I don't think co-dominant trees should always be condemned. I might add if had been over my own roof I might have done the same!

Brings to mind another question - not to sidetrack my own thread, but ...

All of the pines in this subdivision are close grown, Loblolly, many skinny as a rail, most approaching 100 feet, 80 to 100 years old. This tree in question for instance was 65 feet of clear stem before the canopy and only 24" at the butt. Katrina, Gustav, Ike, and a recent freak snow storm have each taken their toll on the close growth forest. Each new event takes down a few more.

I know close growth pine is not good in a subdivision. But if we re-planted Loblolly in the now heavily thinned stand, with plenty of sun, more "Open" grown, would it be a wise choice? They grow wonderfully fast down here (I have seen mature trees gain 1.5" DBH per year in a fertilized, watered lawn). Urban Forestry Council is advising Live Oak, Cypress, Hickory, Pecan, Magnolia, etc. for replanting, but Loblolly would fill out and up a lot quicker. "Open Grown", would they be windfirm?

A lot of people recommend Oaks but they release a high amount of Volatile Organic Compounds as do Eucalyptus that are favored in Arizona. Pines are very good for the environment.

A lot of people recommend Oaks but they release a high amount of Volatile Organic Compounds
Measuring VOC's is a new field. Not sure the results are taht critical in the big picture.

Yes pines are much more stable if opengorwn, especially if lower branches are retained.

Back