rebuilding a collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna say a MS 261 and a MS 462 since you say the Stihl dealer is a good guy. I have been able to dicker with my Stihl dealer on several new saw purchases. He cut me close to $200 off on my 462. I have run a fellow members Echo 590 and it is a great running saw but I would not buy one from a big box store. Dealer only. BTW. GTG here at my place end of October. I'm sure there will be all kinds of saws here and I'm sure most of the guys would let you do some test drives.:)
Not me....im leavin my huskies at home....stihls n echos are too much far superior.....

Steve Husqvarna has been selling through Lowe's for YEARS now, I'm not sure how many, but it has been for quite awhile.

It SUX, because not only do they not service anything, Sorry I wouldn't trust any of my saws to someone that Lowe's would hire for service anyway, but they can't even ORDER, the "Good Stuff", all Home Owner grade saws, which I hear are better than you would expect of them, the Wife's 445 has low hours on it yet, but so far has been a Good saw for the price point. It was either the 455 or 460 was the Biggest saw you could get from Lowe's, and they couldn't order any of the XP models :(

I have heard that Stihl Dealers are REQUIRED to charge catalog MSRP, and that "Sale Prices" rarely if ever happen, but that there are Occasionally dealers that "Forget" that rule, but that is hit and miss, you have to find them.

The Wife's 445 had an MSRP of $339.95, and I was in Okanogan,WA for work, stopped into Okanogan Power Sports, just driving by, never been there before, no telling If/When I would ever be back, they had a 445 on the shelfso I grabbed it, put it on the counter, they rang it up for$305, without my even asking about a discount, added the 3 cans of premix fuel to double the warranty from 2 years to 4 years, and Stihl only paid $329, $10 Less than MSRP, with the fuel and doubled warranty:):)

The Wife got that 445 for Christmas in 2017, believe it or Not, she actually ASKED for her OWN saw for Christmas:surprised3::), by 2017, the 445 had been increased from 45.7cc IIRC, to 50.2cc, and was what I felt to be a Great Weight/Power/Price balance for her use

I got a few Funny looks :confused: from her Friends when she told them she got a CHAINSAW:chainsaw: for Christmas;), She got a LOT of Funny Looks when she told them that She ASKED for it:confused::confused:

It came with an 18"B&C, but I picked up a 13" B&C so she could get used to visualizing where that bar tip was, and to to keep it out of the dirt and other bad things easier, She wanted Nothing to do with that 13" B&C, said it was "EMBARRASSING":laughing::laughing::laughing:

She also likes Camping, Fishing, Crabbing, and Shooting, Yep she is a Keeper;):)

Doug :cheers:

That is incredible, I would definitely continue to support that dealer.
This is the only dealer out of 5 or 6 that will do a buy 2 get 1 free on chains. I asked him how Stihl left him do that when all the other dealers told me they could only do it when it was Stihl authorized promo. My dealer said Stihl left it up to each dealer. I don't count hardware stores and farm stores as dealers although this guy is both as well as a feed store,farm equiptment dealer and a pumpkin grower.:crazy2:

Steve Husqvarna has been selling through Lowe's for YEARS now, I'm not sure how many, but it has been for quite awhile.

It SUX, because not only do they not service anything, Sorry I wouldn't trust any of my saws to someone that Lowe's would hire for service anyway, but they can't even ORDER, the "Good Stuff", all Home Owner grade saws, which I hear are better than you would expect of them, the Wife's 445 has low hours on it yet, but so far has been a Good saw for the price point. It was either the 455 or 460 was the Biggest saw you could get from Lowe's, and they couldn't order any of the XP models :(

I have heard that Stihl Dealers are REQUIRED to charge catalog MSRP, and that "Sale Prices" rarely if ever happen, but that there are Occasionally dealers that "Forget" that rule, but that is hit and miss, you have to find them.

The Wife's 445 had an MSRP of $339.95, and I was in Okanogan,WA for work, stopped into Okanogan Power Sports, just driving by, never been there before, no telling If/When I would ever be back, they had a 445 on the shelfso I grabbed it, put it on the counter, they rang it up for$305, without my even asking about a discount, added the 3 cans of premix fuel to double the warranty from 2 years to 4 years, and Stihl only paid $329, $10 Less than MSRP, with the fuel and doubled warranty:):)

The Wife got that 445 for Christmas in 2017, believe it or Not, she actually ASKED for her OWN saw for Christmas:surprised3::), by 2017, the 445 had been increased from 45.7cc IIRC, to 50.2cc, and was what I felt to be a Great Weight/Power/Price balance for her use

I got a few Funny looks :confused: from her Friends when she told them she got a CHAINSAW:chainsaw: for Christmas;), She got a LOT of Funny Looks when she told them that She ASKED for it:confused::confused:

It came with an 18"B&C, but I picked up a 13" B&C so she could get used to visualizing where that bar tip was, and to to keep it out of the dirt and other bad things easier, She wanted Nothing to do with that 13" B&C, said it was "EMBARRASSING":laughing::laughing::laughing:

She also likes Camping, Fishing, Crabbing, and Shooting, Yep she is a Keeper;):)

I didn’t notice that spec on the newer 445. Assuming it’s now just a de-tuned (or maybe bit) 450 that costs 20-30 less?

I didn’t notice that spec on the newer 445. Assuming it’s now just a de-tuned (or maybe bit) 450 that costs 20-30 less?

HUSQVARNA 445 II e-series

Available Online

Get this product shipped to your door from Husqvarna’s online store.

BUY NOW

BUY NOW
★★★★★★★★★★5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.

2 ReviewsThis action will navigate to reviews.
2 out of 2 (100%) reviewers recommend this product
Conquer your workload with a great all-round chainsaw. Thanks to an X-Torq® engine, the Husqvarna 445e delivers powerful, efficient and eco-friendly performance. Meanwhile, the bar is robust enough to cut through the most demanding workloads. Smart Start® technology and a built-in fuel pump ensure reliable start-ups time after time. Spend less time pulling a starter cord, and more time getting the job done. Best of all, the 445e comes equipped with Husqvarna's powerful new X-Cut® chain.

• Cylinder displacement
    50.2 см³
  • Bar length (inch)
    16"
  • Weight (excl. cutting equipment)
    11.2 lbs
Select product variant
16", 325", 50 GA. FA, SP33G - 967 65 10-01
$359.95MSRP

Find a store near you
Facebook

Looks like they have gone to a "II" series on the 445 now, and the MSRP is now$359.95, but this latest husky add shows it as 50.2cc

Dayum, this is showing it standard with a 16" B&C, which was what I wanted, all I could find in stock, was 18" at the time.
Okanogan Power Sports was going to swap the 18" for a 16" for me, but all they had was 3/8 pitch 16's and the 445 is a .325 pitch, as is my 353, so I took the 18", I have 13, 16, 18 and 20" B&C's in .325, I was just trying to get "Her OWN" B&C in 16", but she likes the 18" better anyway, but it really is more than she needs, and Heaven knows, NOBODY here would EVER have "More than they NEED";)

I think personal preferences are what matter the most, and there's really no wrong answer to your question.

Here's what I did, in the order I acquired them:

1) 362c [gen 2] (general purpose saw)
2) ms201c [rear handle] (small, handy, easy to use saw for limbing and small stuff)
3) spot reserved for a bigger saw, almost certainly to be a 500i when they are available.

Really, a 50 or 60cc saw can get a lot of work done, and I think that's the range of saw that is useful for pretty much anyone. Where you go from there probably depends most on what you commonly end up cutting and your purpose. In my cutting, there's lots of small brush and saplings to cut and clear, and the trees tend to be big hardwoods (lots of oak!) that I'm going after for firewood, with big canopies where there's a lot of firewood to be had. So, my 201 gets quite a workout, and the 362 can do pretty much all the rest. I would like a bigger saw, though, for when I'm really in the big stuff, and because I just like saws. But, really, I could stick to the 2 I have and would be well served.

Well, I am newish here: formerly known as wood junky but my handle was closed due to lack of use:

Here I am with no saws after some significant mishaps. Beware of whom you lend your saws.

I am thinking I would start with 462 and build from there thoughts?

Former collection:
Dolmar 7900
Ms361 ported.
What kind of budget are you working with? That may affect what people suggest.

ShneaSIG, you've been an AS member since June of 2013, and we haven't Corrupted you yet with CAD???:confused:

Dayum, you got some Iron Clad Self Control there, or we ain't been trying hard enough;), surely you have some money that we need to "Advise you" on how to spend:laughing:

It didn't take me Half that long to contract a Full Blown case of CAD, complicated by a Developing case of CSMAD:)

ShneaSIG, you've been an AS member since June of 2013, and we haven't Corrupted you yet with CAD???:confused:

Dayum, you got some Iron Clad Self Control there, or we ain't been trying hard enough;), surely you have some money that we need to "Advise you" on how to spend:laughing:

It didn't take me Half that long to contract a Full Blown case of CAD, complicated by a Developing case of CSMAD:)

:D:D

Oh, you guys got to me alright! I don't have any real business owning more than one 50cc or so saw, but here I am with 2, and it won't be much longer before I have a 3rd... and we'll see if I stop there. :D

:D:D

Oh, you guys got to me alright! I don't have any real business owning more than one 50cc or so saw, but here I am with 2, and it won't be much longer before I have a 3rd... and we'll see if I stop there. :D

and we'll see if I stop there. :D[/QUOTE]:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Not if we have ANY influence on you;)

Like I said, I'm SURE, that you have Money, that you NEED our Advice on how to Spend:yes::yes::yes:

My first bit of advice, is to quit wasting your Money on those Creamsicles, and buy the Best;), Go Huskies:)

Yep.when it comes to the gtg......ill stand back n watch......waitin for the food...

Oh, I won't deny that there are likely MANY members here on AS, that could Spank ME at a GTG, and teach me MORE than a few things, but I would carry any of my Huskies with Pride, and not hang my head in Shame, of anything in my collection, they have all performed beyond what I expected, or asked of them, and been Rock Solid Reliable doing it, if there is anything lacking in my saws performance, it is the Operator, NOT the Tool;), I am far from being To Proud to admit, that there is Stihl Very Much for me to learn:yes:

and we'll see if I stop there. :D
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Not if we have ANY influence on you;)

Like I said, I'm SURE, that you have Money, that you NEED our Advice on how to Spend:yes::yes::yes:

My first bit of advice, is to quit wasting your Money on those Creamsicles, and buy the Best;), Go Huskies:)

Doug :cheers:[/QUOTE]

But, I ain't got enough cool points to be able to buy Huskies! I tried! Dealer took one look at me and said, "Get lost, loser!"

The whole experience brought back memories from high school and trying to get dates that I thought I'd repressed and forgotten. Very traumatizing!

Back