rebuilding an 026 with chinese parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got one for like $5 shipped it go ok but the saw its on needs bearings i will do that one day ive got my home ported 026 that kicks ass

I have used the parts from Hutzl on several 025's and 026's with good results so far. The Hutzl ones I got had domed pistons. the fit and finish on the 025 jugs are good except for where the muffler bolts attach - there is usually some flash or mold problems there that need to be cleaned up.

To be sure - the quality will not be near as good as German or some other European parts but I see parts from the far pacific region in my industry on a regular basis and the well done ones exceed the quality/price ratio that can be had domestically. This seems to be due to the labor costs differential and a few other factors. Inspect any part you get though. 2 years running on a $50 jug and piston is the same cost as 4 years on a $100 set if you are doing the labor yourself.

If it's a personal saw or a light use saw I would not hesitate to use Hong Kong (1st) or Chinese (2nd) parts - with the caveat that I expect failure much faster than I would with OEM parts. Several site sponsors have good priced parts that are import and give you a domestic contact if there is a defect. I would recommend paying a bit more to purchase from one of them rather than off fleabay simply for ease of contact if there is a problem with the part. It's also well worth it to support our site sponsors.

I have been wondering the same thing. I have an 026 needing an adjustable carb. You can get the Chinese ones for $20. a walbro 194 will cost as much as the saw.

All lessons cost money. The good ones cost a lot.

That being said, I learned a lesson on using aftermarket piston pin retaining clips. I learned not to use aftermarket ones. When one of them fails, it tends to cost quite a bit of money.

After that lesson, I decided not to use the following aftermarket parts in addition to the clips: gaskets, seals and bearings. The OEM versions of said parts are cheap enough that I don't believe they should be substituted.

Latest posts

Back