Rebuilding my Husqvarna 372 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,
I have to rebuild my 2004 Husky 372 XP due to a main bearing failure. :bang: :mad2:
This will be my frst rebuild, so I have enlisted the help of an experienced friend.
The cylinder is ok, and just needs a light honing.
I'll be replacing the crank, piston/rings, bearings, seals and gaskets.
I DO have a few question to 'throw out there' to my more experienced 'Chainsaw-Brothers'.
On the very bottom, of the inside of the crankcase, (under the crank's weights) there are some scratches, which can be emery-papered out.
However - there are two very small 'micro-cracks', about 1/8" long, going right through the housing/case.
- Is this a Critical Issue? :confused2:
I know that this area is where the gas/oil/air mixture flows-and is under pressure.
[How much pressure IS THERE in this area?]
[Does anyone know what the 'Compression Ratio' is?] (Is it similiar to the "Muscle-Car" days, when we would say a car's engine had a "9.5 or 10.5 compression ratio?]

Could these micro cracks be sealed with, say, JB Weld, or Liquid Steel.
Somone recommended TIG welding?

I'm planning on buying all needed parts from Bailey's, as I've always had good luck with them.
- Unless someone can recommend an even less expensive source(?) ;) :help:

I am currently unemployed, so I HAVE to keep repair costs as low as possible - but to still do a quality, long lasting repair!

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :msp_thumbup:

Thankx!

Irv Ambler -New Fairfield, CT ([email protected]) :rock:
* Saws *
2004 Husqvarna 372 XP w/24" bar
2005 Stihl MS250
...Had a Husky 268....which got Stolen!

i would go to ebay and get a complete bottom end . there are a couple of ones on there for under 150 bucks. personally if you cant get the cases welded i would not use them. i will not use a broken or cracked case period. not for my self or a customer. get it welded or replace it.

This sounds like a non stressed area, perhaps cracked by a piece of piston getting under the rod while at BDC. I have made similar repairs to a 250R Quadracer with excellent results. Surface preparation is critical. It must be roughed up and 100% oil free. If it's as I described, you can make a 100% permanent and reliable fix.

Now, if it's a stressed area, trash it, period.

Latest posts

Back