Rebuilding Stihl ms260 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apex1911

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I am rebuilding a Stihl Ms260 Pro that happened to pick up over the weekend. The saw has 90 psi compression. The piston is toast but I haven't pulled the jug off yet to see the condition of it. Carb settings seemed fine and the gas in it looked to have oil mixed in but don't know to what ratio. I will be doing a leak and vacuum test to see if I find what killed it. What is the best place to buy a jug and piston kit for this thing? I believe it is the 44.7mm. What do you guys recommend. Thanks

Jimmy

Hey guys I am rebuilding a Stihl Ms260 Pro that happened to pick up over the weekend. The saw has 90 psi compression. The piston is toast but I haven't pulled the jug off yet to see the condition of it. Carb settings seemed fine and the gas in it looked to have oil mixed in but don't know to what ratio. I will be doing a leak and vacuum test to see if I find what killed it. What is the best place to buy a jug and piston kit for this thing? I believe it is the 44.7mm. What do you guys recommend. Thanks

Jimmy

The early MS260's were 44mm while the majority and later MS260's were 44.7mm. If you could post the serial # and we can tell you if it is a 44 or 44.7 mm.

Thanks bcorradi. Their is hope that mine could be a 44.7. SN 2790xxxxx.

To answer the question; if you are looking for aftermarket, I myself don't know but, "Bailey's" seem to be everyone's go to. If you decide on Stihl, Its claimed that more performance is gained on both, high and low RPM's. Any way you go with your decision, I would suggest a good quality set of rings.

Thanks bcorradi. Their is hope that mine could be a 44.7. SN 2790xxxxx.

To answer the question; if you are looking for aftermarket, I myself don't know but, "Bailey's" seem to be everyone's go to. If you decide on Stihl, Its claimed that more performance is gained on both, high and low RPM's. Any way you go with your decision, I would suggest a good quality set of rings.

Yes yours should be a 44.7mm.

I'd maybe contact watsonjr if your needing just a hq piston or both a piston and cylinder set. I've dealt with him before and he has high quality products, reasonable shipping, and he ships very quickly, plus he backs all of his parts.

Ok I am back. The serial for the saw is 283602679. I removed the jug and it is scratched pretty bad above and below the exhaust port. I also vacuum and leak tested it and all was good. Not sure what happened to it prior to me picking it up this weekend. What and jug kit should I go with? Anything else that I should check out?
Jimmy

If you're tearing it down you might as well buy a gas line, filter and impulse line. Just cheap insurance against an air leak in the near future. (And a good practice if you're going with a new top end. My 2 pennies :msp_wink:

yes I was planning on new fuel line, impulse line, fuel filter, spark plug. The lines look good but I am going to replace them anyway while I have it apart. The intake boot looks solid too so I may or may not replace it. I will be rebuilding the carb also.

Ok I am back. The serial for the saw is 283602679. I removed the jug and it is scratched pretty bad above and below the exhaust port. I also vacuum and leak tested it and all was good. Not sure what happened to it prior to me picking it up this weekend. What and jug kit should I go with? Anything else that I should check out?
Jimmy

Contact "WatsonR" for you best bet on a AM piston or P+C combo.
Unfortunately, Stihl does not allow internet sales of their parts, so your local dealer is your best bet for new OE parts.
The e thing may get you a good, used set-up.

How important is it to get a cylinder with the machining for the decomp valve? I have a 026 without the decomp and it seems fine without it. How does the meteor kit compare to the stihl kit?

Not much point in decomp valve on smaller saws like that. Once you hit 046 and bigger, they can be nice at times though I don't have any problems starting my 046 without using the decomp valve.

How important is it to get a cylinder with the machining for the decomp valve? I have a 026 without the decomp and it seems fine without it...

I have an MS260 Pro and use the decomp all the time. Less wear and tear on the starter/recoil and me; I have enough work to do as it is. The decomp maintains the stock condition of the pro 260 version and adds value if you decide to sell it. My 2¢.

Latest posts

Back