Recently Planted Weeping Norway Spruce Browning/Dropping Needles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chi gala

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I noticed that a lot of the lower branches on a recently planted (2 months) Weeping Norway Spruce are dropping needles. I initially thought that it was transplant shock and/or needed to be watered more, but it has continued and now I'm wondering if it might be something else. Thoughts?

Thanks for all help!

IMG_0430.jpegIMG_0431.jpegIMG_0435.jpegIMG_0432.jpegIMG_0426.jpeg

Wow, I hope that thing was 1/2 off... anyway, I have seen more newly transplanted trees killed by overwatering than underwatering. It honestly looks like that could be the case here.
Ok, thanks. What's the best way to determine either way?

Any chance it could be Rhizosphaera needle cast?

Looks like you do have a touch of needle cast. However like Jolly said improper water management and correct planting depth needs to be looked into.
Thanks for the reply. How do I treat needle cast?

And, how do I determine if I'm over- or under-watering?

Norway spruce are huge trees when fully grown. You might want to move it with it being so close to the house. That is one stressed looking tree.
Thanks for the reply.

It's a Weeping Norway. It was supposed to be a Weeping White Spruce, but I just ecently realized that they planted the wrong tree. I havent decided whether or not I'm going to have them change it out to the correct tree. But, it's current situation may help me make that choice.

Any suggestions on how to help it get less stressed?

The finger test is still best... if you can't poke your finger in or it comes out clean, it's too dry. If it comes out coated in mud, too wet. If it comes out moist with a little moist soil stuck to it, just right...
Ok, thanks.

Out of curiosity, Is the screwdriver test a valid method?

Back