Green Giant Branch Bark Pulled back- Concerning or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chi gala

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello!

I noticed that some of the bark on a lower branch on a recently planted (2 months ago) 8' green giant is pulled back. I'm not sure if this is a result of damage during installation, normal process, and/or if it something concerning. Any thoughts?

If concerning, what should I do?

Thanks for all help!

IMG_0402.jpeg

More pics would help, but that damage is way older than 2 months, just due to the encapsulation... looks like mechanical damage at some point in its life. It looks to be healing rather nicely, but there is a chance for disease to enter before it is fully healed over. Really need more pics...

More pics would help, but that damage is way older than 2 months, just due to the encapsulation... looks like mechanical damage at some point in its life. It looks to be healing rather nicely, but there is a chance for disease to enter before it is fully healed over. Really need more pics...
Thanks for your reply. Additional pics below. I also noticed an additional branch (3 total) with what looks like damage. It rained overnight so the branches are a bit damp in these pics.

Thanks for all help!

IMG_0413.jpegIMG_0419.jpegIMG_0418.jpegIMG_0422.jpegIMG_0425.jpeg

Looks like deer rubs.

How far off of the ground is the damage?

The damage could have happened in the nursery, especially if they were grown in the ground.

Container grown nursery stock is usually more protected and if rubbed, knocked over.

Looks like deer rubs.

How far off of the ground is the damage?

The damage could have happened in the nursery, especially if they were grown in the ground.

Container grown nursery stock is usually more protected and if rubbed, knocked over.
Roughly 8" or so.

IMG_0443.jpeg

I agree, remove the damaged limbs to save the tree.
Looks like lawn mower damage & at least a year old, maybe two years.

Latest posts

Back