Recommend a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hebron

Reaction score
I would like to purchase a chainsaw for typical homeowner type work. Cleaning up after storms, cutting firewood, taking down a couple of "boxelders". I'm thinking about a 16" to 18" bar. I am not interested in buying a throw-away saw so I stay away from the warehouse stores. But at the same time, I can't justify a Rolls Royce either. So what do you recommend? Poulan, Stihl, Husqvarna, Redmax, Jonsered, Echo?

Thanks

I personally would purchase a stihl 025 for your uses. The MS290 is good too but I think its a little heavy. The Husqvarna is also a great saw but cant give you a recommended model number as they change there numbers too fast. Echo also makes a good saw but for similar prices I would go with the stihl or Husky. Jonsered is just about like Husky (same company, few different parts) just very hard to find good dealers. Poulan and Red Max not good on quality. Poulan is also an electolux saw but is thier bottom line other than sears. I have worked on saws for several years now and have seen less problems with the stihls than any other saw.
Big D

Stihls are nice but they are the most expensive as well. Go with a Husqvarna 55 or 350 and you will get the same quality for a slightly more reasonable price.

Good point Huskyman, you do get more bang for your buck with a Husky. More power for the money is what I mean. I also like the 55 its a very proven saw at a reasonable price.
Darin

My advice here is a little self-serving. When I'm asked, I recommend a Stihl 026 (as opposed to the 025 or 029). It's the commercial model saw, the one I put the most hours on and it is easy to start. The self-serving part comes in when I then tell them if they don't like it, I will buy it for my use, (depreciation included ofcourse). ;) I really have had good luck with that model, and I think I must have recommended it 15 times, and I haven't bought one used yet.

I agree with the suggestion of the 026 Stihl, definitely
I don't like the 029, or now ms290, 025 is fair. Spend some
extra money and go with the 026 and you won't be sorry.
Fish

I've seen what appears to be a very fair deal for a factory refurbished Poulan in various sizes. I'm looking at probably an 18 or 20 inch for occasional cleanup of fallen trees. (I do not cut my own firewood). Several posts imply that the Poulan saws are not great. What's the real bottom line for the occasional homeowner user? do they start easily? Do they handle well? as an example, on my first real entry to using a real chain saw, I borrowed a 20" Husqvarna to cut up an 80 foot Pine tree that was about 16" in diameter. I found this saw heavy and somewhat difficult to start.

1st homeowner saw

The Poulan's are not bad saws. I owned 2 or 3 when I first started doing tree work, and they served me well for the money. No sense buying a top-of-the-line commercial saw for occasional use. Just about any established brand will do you well if properly maintained.

Bergman - I saw a re-conditioned Poulin saw (the model was 150 something or other) for sale at our local Princess Auto store for $150 Canadian, case, file, oil included. I almost picked one up for the truck, so I don't bounce one of the other saws to death in the bush in the back of the truck. Looked like a fair deal, but I passes in favour of baby cloths and a Diaper Genie. (New Priorities :D )

I have a baby Poulan 1950 with a 14" bar that does the little stuff like limbing and junk cutting (couches, bushes, etc) and it works fine. Just dont expect miracles out of it. You get what you pay for. My Dad still swears they are no. 1.

I recently had an old woods boss tell me he used to change the jug and piston on a 655 in less than 20 minutes, in the brush! I think he used rolling papers to compress the rings and part of an old bong to lock the clutch off.

If you do get a Poulan, I would check out the Poulan Pro only. I was going to get the 295 but opted for a husky 350. The 295 comes with a 20" bar but from what others have said here you may want to get a 16" bar for it and keep the 20" for the times you may need it.

Latest posts

Back