Recommendations for replacement trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfishar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have about 10 acres in Northwest Arkansas that is full of old huge oak trees. The last 3 years of freak weather, drought, bugs, fungus, floods, etc have taken their toll on our large oaks. Even with the help of an arborist and some major pampering it is evident we are going to lose many of our large oaks. What we need help with is what to replace them with.

We like the large trunks and massive limbs of our oaks and would like to replace them with trees that have fairly fast growth to size. We looked at species such as the Legacy maple which grows to 60 by 30 feet, fall foliage, and has some drought resistance. Are there some other species we should consider in oaks, maples, pecan, etc?

We really need some advise here. There are so many options and we obviously are not experts, although we do try to take care of our trees.

Thank you for the help.

trees to plant

Let's start off by finding out what the soil is like? Well drained? What's the ph? You need to find out, and once you find out you can select the trees that can grow at that site. There should be a local soil survey of the area-maybe check with the NRCS office for the maps-National Resource Conservation Service, Soil conservation district in the area should have soil maps-

Testing is a good idea. In fact we intend on using spring water to help water with. Off the top of my head I would say

1. The soil is extremely well drained. In fact almost to well. We are on a hill full of limestone deep springs. Water percolates pretty quickly through to deeper formations.

2. It is only a guess but the soil is probably only "fair" in terms of nutrients. We need to fertilize to enhance our soil. Would the presence of all the limestone indicate the acidity?

Depends on what you want

You need to talk to NRCS. Should be one at your county seat.
Here is the thing with trees. I am not an expert, but I live here in Arkansas and I know a little about trees in Arkansas.
What are you expecting as a out come?

1. Are you planting trees for wildlife?
2. Do you expect to cut the trees for timber later?
3. Are you looking to beautify the property?
4. Don't take this wrong, but how much time do you have left on this property?
Second part of question are you planting for future generations?
5. Does this property lay to the north or the south?
6. What is the soil type and composition?

There are more considerations too,

The reason I asked the questions above can all be lumped together. If your looking for wildlife forages there are a number of fruit and nut trees to consider, along with oaks. Species in this category that grow well in Arkansas include: pear, persimmon, apple, plum, cherry, pecan, walnut, hazel nut, hickory, white oak, bur oak, and dogwood. If its timber you want the list can be tricky depending on the soil. Pine or Cypress are possible but with marginal soils not real productive. Oaks, Hickory, Walnut, Royal Empress (Paulownia) all grow well in most soils. All species will have better success in richer soils. Pine and Cypress will thrive in moist soils and are more tolerate to poorly drained soils. If you are over 40 and looking to cut the timber from the trees you are planting you need to look at planting Paulownia or Persimmon. If your planting for your children then pine, cypress, or hybrid oaks such as willow oak. Fruit trees are more suited to north facing slopes. So there are many things to consider in choosing species. I would consider planting a variety of species suited to your interests. The NRCS used to have some cost sharing programs here in Arkansas that were very attractive but they had some special requirements. I would look at the options, and opions they give you and go from there. I personally would plant a variety. I feel that you gain more benefits from variety than from monocular specie stands. This way if one specie fails you have the options of replanting and maintaining a partial stand of timber. You can also realize some benefits at different stages of growth and seasons of the year. All and all if the acreage was in timber and you want it back in timber then by all means plant something. You can always find someone like me around that will select cut what you don't want. Then plant something else.

Last edited:
It's hard to beat the majestic Oak, especially if you burn wood. Willow and Sawtooth Oak are fast growing. Shummard and Nuttall have moderate growth rates. Not sure what climate zone you are in, but many oaks grow well in 7.

1. Are you planting trees for wildlife?
We have a number of small fruit trees planted around the property for wildlife. As you know deer raccoons are abundant in this area. The trees we are replacing were once 40-50 foot oaks. I'd like to replace them with something of similar or ultimately larger size.

2. Do you expect to cut the trees for timber later?
No.... They are strictly there for the pleasure of the property.

3. Are you looking to beautify the property?
Yes. Fall or spring color is a bonus. Maples are of interest for both size and fall color.

4. Don't take this wrong, but how much time do you have left on this property?
Second part of question are you planting for future generations?
Forever. My wife will never let me sell this house. We will likely be buried here. Although I'd like to enjoy the trees prior to that event.

5. Does this property lay to the north or the south?
We are in rolling hills west of Bentonville. Our property is on the south west side of the hill.

6. What is the soil type and composition?
It is a mixture of limestone and red clay. There is a "red dirt" pit not far from us. You can't dig a hole without turning up tons of small limestone rocks. Like most soil in Arkansas it is not extremely fertile. It gets lots of water but drains quickly.

Thanks for the thoughts.

We have about 10 acres in Northwest Arkansas that is full of old huge oak trees. The last 3 years of freak weather, drought, bugs, fungus, floods, etc have taken their toll on our large oaks....We really need some advise here. There are so many options and we obviously are not experts, although we do try to take care of our trees.

Hang on to what you've got. I worked in Mtn View on dozens of damaged trees, and did not have to remove one of them. If the trunks are intact, the trees can come back. do not let your arborist cut off more than necessary--storm-damaged branches should be cut back to the first good node behind the break. If your arborist is ISA-certified s/he should be aware of this.

Latest posts

Back