Recommended Harness for...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviD

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A hunting application, such that you will ascend with a vertical life line/ascending/descending rope attached to a false crotch and/or lanyard wrapped around a tree.

Once reaching the desired height, you will attach a fall restraining rope and prussik around the tree above your position and attach it to an anchor on your upper mid back (i.e. as in fall protection harnesses).

The harness will remain on you all day as you are seated or standing on a treestand platform/seat (wrap around strap secured to a platform, TMA certified and tested).

Ultimately the goals are:

1) Harness will require (dual) lanyard attachment/anchoring capabilities.
2) Harness will require upper back fall restraint attachment/anchoring capabilities.
3) Harness will require mobility without restriction in movement
4) Harness will require all day stationary comfort
5) Harness will require absolute silent gear (no metal clicking/clanging, which probably can be achieved by rubber or Plasti Dip dipping components).
6) Harness will require lightweight properties for extended hikes (several miles) into the woods.
7) Harness will need to be relative quick to set up and able to accomodate varying layers of clothing (from uninsulated single layer clothing in hot weather to insulated multiple layers in colder weather).

Let me know what you guys think.

BTW, I am not a super small guy...around 6'1", 220lbs...if that is a consideration in available harnesses.

Try the petzl bod. I have worn mine under my insulated carhartt overalls for certain climbing operations. It has front tie in points, d's, and a fall arrest attachment in the rear.

Nice thanks OTG...I checked out the Petzl line...the NAVAHO COMPLET FAST harness caught my eye with the Fast Clips. Pretty nice on and off feature...nice looking belt.

Produit_Image_469.jpg

I've got to admit, I rarely wear my petzl harness and it was pretty expensive. It fits all of your criteria except for the comfort thing (which is why I don't wear it much) They sell a bosuns chair that attaches to it but I had trouble getting it through my local petzl guy so I just switched back to my arbormaster.

BTW I dont think you'll need to ever use the rear attachment point for fall arrest. A conventional climbing set up single line, friction hitch, should be all you need for what you are intending to do. I remember hearing somewhere that in a treestand a fall arrest rear attachment is required but you won't be in a treestand right?

Yes I will be in a treestand (hunting purposes as mentioned initially)...so rear attachment is required to keep the fall arrest lanyard out of the way once I am secured up there and actually hunting.

Comfort is important primarily for the sitting phase far more than the climbing phase...although I certainly don't want anything jabbing in my sides or cutting off circulation when in a working position or climbing.

What did you find uncomfortable about your Petzl?

I'm also seeing either the BOD or the COMPLET FAST are around 4lbs in weight...that seems somewhat heavy to me.

I don't hunt but hunting shows often come on in between fishing shows which I watch religously, So I have given this alot of thought. What do you need the treestand for when you have a harness that is built for work positioning??????????????

OTG BOSTON said:
I don't hunt but hunting shows often come on in between fishing shows which I watch religously, So I have given this alot of thought. What do you need the treestand for when you have a harness that is built for work positioning??????????????

Actually they sell two work positioning type harnesses for hunting.

Check out Trophy Line Tree Saddles:

http://www.trophylineusa.com/index_flash.htm

They have mixed popularity, primarily due to noise and versatility of movement. From a platform, it is relatively easy to turn around, quietly and maintain stability for a shot, whereas with a positioning harness its not quite as easy due to foot positioning on the tree, the amount of movement required, and actually trying to shoot (especially drawing a bow while being suspended, with a gun...probably much less of an issue).

fall arrest harness

Petzl harness ive used all around its ok, comfort is lacking, but your body weight won't be on the straps as you'll be sitting or standing in the tree stand. Have to question self rescue from fall arrest/dorsal attachment. Might be difficult/impossible to get back into climbing mode hanging from your shoulder blades. Consider staying tied into climbing system to front tie in point of saddle in addition to dorsal attachment. Fall arrest may save you from the fall to the ground but hanging in a harness for a short period of time can cause 'suspention trauma' that would kill you too. good luck

corey

Latest posts

Back