Red Card

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a forest firefighting qualification. It's required of the state foresters here. I know very little about the program or how to qualify, but it requires a course in fire behavior as well as a physical endurance test... Someone here has got to know more than I on this.

To get a Red Card you must.
1) Take a class that is 2 weekends. I-100 Incident command system, S-130-Wildland firefighter, and S-190 Intro to Wildland Fire Behavior.
2) Pass a pack test. 45lb pack on level terrain 3 miles in 45 minutes or less.
3) Practice and deploy a emergency fire shelter in under 20 sec or something like that.
4) Get recertified every year by taking a refresher course and pack test again.
It's a really fun and informative class. I have yet to get the red card but you have 5 years from the time you took the class to get your first red card. Thereafter you must receretify every year.

Tom reeve is right, it is a fun and informative class. I was fortunate enough to have the class be part of my undergraduate program. The 100, 130, and 190 is a breeze. Its basically small workbooks to fill out. Its a great experience, so go ahead and get it!

Back