Chipper registration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguyMN

Reaction score
Anyone know if a chipper needs a registration card or title in MN? Hearing you only need a bill of sale and dvs hasn't been helpful either.

I have no idea about MN, but I believe that you will find that no title or registration is available for a chipper. You see, they are a "machine", rather than a trailer or motor vehicle. Consequently, they cannot be licensed without a title which bears a unique VIN..

This is true of pretty much all towable machines, such as air compressors, large stump grinders, log splitters, mortar batch mixers, etc.

Now if your machine was issued a title from the manufacturer, then you will need to get a license plate for it.

Went round and round with DMV in Michigan about this. Needs a title to get a plate, needs a VIN to get a title, manufacturer doesn't issue a VIN. Law in Michigan reads that if it is towed more than "occasionally" it needs a plate. Occasionally is defined vaguely more than once or twice a week. Teaches you to lie to the police.

Are you sure about that? Keep your eyes open, and see if all the other chippers on the road are carrying a plate. Check out the air compressors behind the plumbing trucks, too.

I think you will find that the DMV just wants their money, and the police know that the equipment doesn't get a title. My trucks have been pulled over countless times with the chipper on the back, and they have never even asked for any proof of ownership. Of course, we aren't in your state, either.

I have no idea about MN, but I believe that you will find that no title or registration is available for a chipper. You see, they are a "machine", rather than a trailer or motor vehicle. Consequently, they cannot be licensed without a title which bears a unique VIN..

This is true of pretty much all towable machines, such as air compressors, large stump grinders, log splitters, mortar batch mixers, etc.

Now if your machine was issued a title from the manufacturer, then you will need to get a license plate for it.
I have a vin and title and have registered my chipper with plates in my state. The title shows legal ownership and the registration is for anything that travels on the road, trailers, cars, trucks, and other towed machinery.

Here in Tennessee, we cannot register chippers, they technically aren't a "trailer"
we are supposed to register trailers used commercially or that are being used out of state (TN owner operating storm work in FLA requires a plate for example)

my trailer is rent to own which I do not have a title for, so I cannot register it, its obviously used commercially, the truck has a H plate (commercial plate) and its not been an issue
honestly, if it were me, id just run it without a plate, worst that happens is you get pulled over and they say "yeah you should fix that"

What I did was tell them it’s home made every time I get a question.
$12 later I have my tag.
That's an issue here now because New Jersey DMV wants to see receipts for the trailer you built before they will let Auto ID issue a serial number for it. I don't have these problems because I run a homemade plate but I can't get a plate for my wheel dolly no matter how hard I try because it was not issued with a title There is no tag on it, which was plastic, and blew off who knows when. So... it's not considered a trailer. So now what do you do besides try to sell it like everybody else does with used trailers and no title?
I just decided when I get pulled over with no plate we're going to go to not go the rounds or I'm going to pull a homemade one out of the truck and say oh sorry I forgot to put that on.
Last time I said it must have fell off, sorry. It just takes far less time to lie than explain how things really work to the police.

Went round and round with DMV in Michigan about this. Needs a title to get a plate, needs a VIN to get a title, manufacturer doesn't issue a VIN. Law in Michigan reads that if it is towed more than "occasionally" it needs a plate. Occasionally is defined vaguely more than once or twice a week. Teaches you to lie to the police.
Are you sure about that, not like you ever dealt with it or anything :laughing:.
I have a vin and title and have registered my chipper with plates in my state. The title shows legal ownership and the registration is for anything that travels on the road, trailers, cars, trucks, and other towed machinery.
Cmon man, that can't be right lol.

What I did was tell them it’s home made every time I get a question.
$12 later I have my tag.

That's an issue here now because New Jersey DMV wants to see receipts for the trailer you built before they will let Auto ID issue a serial number for it. I don't have these problems because I run a homemade plate but I can't get a plate for my wheel dolly no matter how hard I try because it was not issued with a title There is no tag on it, which was plastic, and blew off who knows when. So... it's not considered a trailer. So now what do you do besides try to sell it like everybody else does with used trailers and no title?
I just decided when I get pulled over with no plate we're going to go to not go the rounds or I'm going to pull a homemade one out of the truck and say oh sorry I forgot to put that on.
Last time I said it must have fell off, sorry. It just takes far less time to lie than explain how things really work to the police.

Calling it "homebuilt" will work in Missouri, but not automatically. Around here, that translates to "stolen trailer, and I don't have the title".

To get a "homebuilt" title or registration, you must physically take the trailer to the Mo. Highway Patrol. When they get done inspecting it, they will give you a "homebuilt" certificate of some sort, good for use down at the DMV.

You could call a chipper dealer in your state and ask them. Or find a rental company near you and see if they have plates on theirs.

Ended up asking one of the old mechanics I know. Apparently MN is bill of sale only, but if you get inspected you need to have good tires, breakaway, etc. CDL rules still apply if over 10k. He stated some companies still plate for theft/inventory reasons but he told me to just throw a GPS tracker in it and send it. Ended up getting a 1999 BC1800a with a winch and 2500 hours for 14800 😎

Back