Chipper blades, restoring w welding, advisable or not ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, for kicks and grins I took a couple chipper knives that I have to sharpen and ran them on my Rockwell hardness tester and guess what. The Rockwell hardness was consistent throughout the knife, from the cutting edge to the securement holes. I tested them in various spots as well. I mostly sharpen Bandit knives and on a Bandit, the knife clearance is set with the anvil only. The knives fit in pockets and are not adjustable. Matter of fact I have a Bandit coming in shortly that will need the knife flywheel reworked and the discharge chute modified as well. Again, when I sharpen knives, I always match them in pairs by weight.

One thing I don't need is a chipper, glad of that.

My saw log pile is getting bigger and bigger btw. Just added some apple wood to it.

Not I. I have more than enough arborist customers that having one would be a liability and unneeded expense. All I have to do is make a phone call and a Hi Ranger and chipper will appear. Besides, I'm a pyro so I like roasting stuff... Bad enough I bought a stump grinder...lol

ANSI Z133-2017 section 8.7.12
1698761456161.png
if the knives are that bad, you must be breaking ANSI rules...
no way for knives to be chipped beyond fixing with a grinder if you open up your chipper more than twice a year and fix stuff when it needs fixing, I do my knives about every 6 months and they are still sharp when I flip them, anvil once every 2 years or so

Chipper knives are ENTIRELY dependent on what you are feeding into it. You put trash into the feed chute, the knives will degrade quickly. Of course that all depends on what the crew is feeding as well.

ive spent literal days in a row machine feeding my 250 12" hickory, hackbery and oak covered in dirt, knives looked new when we got done
why? no rocks, metal or concrete
ive also accidentally wound up an entire barbed wire fence, **** happens, BUT, it shouldnt be often enough that you think about trying to pinch pennies on knives

every chipper somewhere in the manual has a minimum distance from the center line of the blade to knife edge. varies a bit with brand. Vemeers are around 2" or2.3125" depending on age of unit, bandit might be 2.3125" also

Latest posts

Back