Red Japanesse Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach

Reaction score
I just purchased a Red Japanesse Maple. This tree is approx. 3 feet tall. I live in Chicago Illinois where we experience severe weather changes from season to season. My question relates to the best location to plant this tree (i.e. should it be planted close to my home or in an open area of my yard where it will be fully exposed to the elements - sun, rain, snow, wind)? Also, what about soil preparation? Thanks for your help.

Being from Florida, I have no idea how big japanese maples get. But if it is a common tree up there, I would have to assume it is acclimated to your harsh winters. I would not recommend planting any tree within 10-15 feet of a house. By the time the tree is too big to toss a blanket or sheet over it, it should be established well enough to handle the weather.
Planting now would give you an entire growing season for roots to get established. Much better than planting one in the fall, I would assume.

I\'m just a little north of you so we are a bit cooler. Here Acer palmatum is marginaly hardy, it\'s the cold springs that usualy zap them.

I\'ld say put it on the north side of the house, but expect it to be a plant that last only around 10 yrears. Also be prepared ffor some dieback as it establishes it\'s roots.

J. Maple will often get leaf scorch on the edges of the leaves when planted in windy locations. Try to plant it in a sheltered location that will get the least amount of wind. I guess the area with least wind is probably 50 miles south. A southern or western exposue will help on the cold hardiness issue. Keeping the tree watered and mulched properly will reduce the effects of the wind and cold.

Eric

Back