Red Oak Bark Peeling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SalSaenz

SalSaenz

I have a Red Oak that was planted just over 1 year ago. I noticed two spots at base of tree where the bark was starting to split. I did peel off the loose bark to see how bad the damage is. the larger damage faces east and the small damage faces west. The leaves on the tree look healthy and the tree has grown some this spring. There is a small hole that I saw a ant enter into tree when I removed the bark. Any help would be great. If you need more info, please let me know.

View attachment 181362View attachment 181363View attachment 181364View attachment 181365View attachment 181366

ch woodchuck

ch woodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Interesting!I'm not familiar with oaks in that area.My expertise is with our local coast live oak(red oak group)in ca.We have an organism here called phytophthora ramorum that attacks oaks in that fashion.As far as I know the organism is restricted to cal/oregon.It would be a disaster if it's reached that far east.
Looking at the inner bark,it appears to be a reddish brown color.generally the inner bark will be whitish or cream colored.Looks like it's been that way for some time as the infected wood appears to be somewhat dried.Whatever the organism is it's possibly girdling the lower trunk,and plugging up the trees transport sysyem.Water/nutrients are sucked up vis capillary action to the canopy.produced starches are then sent down the system to feed the root sysyem.If the organism girdles the tree,the transport system is blocked,and eventually the tree will starve.
I suggest you contact your local agriculture dept.Or find a consulting arborist familiar with that tree specie.And please!Let us know what transpires...Good luck

beastmaster

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
First off Id remove the mulch from around the base of the tree. Its good practice to keep mulch a way from the truck. Then just for fun I would try and expose the root crown and some roots and see if you can see any white strings or patches that would indicate a fungus. What condition are the roots in?
There are many kinds of Phytophthora, besides P. ramorum. I would check the ground to see if the Oak has poor drainage. That can be a clue. Phytophthora effected trees often have liquid that stains the base of the tree.
I've only recently been studying tree diseases, so that makes me dangerous. :msp_smile:
Be sure to post any news. Thanks. Beastmaster

beastmaster

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Could it had been planted to deeply, I notice there really isn't any root flair to speak of. That could be the thing that started other secondary effects in motion. Just thinking is all. Beast.

Urban Forester

Urban Forester

ArboristSite Guru
It would appear that the other folks are in the ballpark by saying Phythopthora, not ramorum but cinnamoni. Picture 2 shows what appears to be a trunk canker formation. The basal trunk decay is significant. I'm all in on the recommendation for someone to look at it ASAP. I would remove the mulch and check buttress roots as well.

SalSaenz

SalSaenz

I have removed the mulch. How deep should I go to view the roots for white strings or patches? Is there a treatment for Phythopthora? I don't believe I have a drainage issue, being that the tree is at a high spot in my yard.
Thanks

Last edited:
beastmaster

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't know if there is any cure for Phytphopthora. I personally think your poor Oak has had it with the amount of dead at the base.
The fact it still has green in the top is a good sign. Die back in the crown is a sign of root problems.
Even with the tree being planted on high ground, If you amended the soil at planting you could of created a sponge where the planting hole retains water, or to much watering. After the first year in most cases Oaks won't need any irrigation, unless your in a really dry year.
You don't have to expose the whole root(s), but 6 to 8in at lest. Observe them, I like to probe them a little with an Icepick to find if their mushy or soft. If fungus is present you'll see some kind of white strings in the soil. If the planting hole is wet. leave the roots exposed.
Was there any trees planted there before? If so what happened to them?
Its easy to theorize, but you need some one to check the tree, He(or her)will be able to see the big picture looking at it in person. There are often many variables to consider that can't be addressed in a photo.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Urban Forester

Urban Forester

ArboristSite Guru
...Its easy to theorize, but you need some one to check the tree, He(or her)will be able to see the big picture looking at it in person. There are often many variables to consider that can't be addressed in a photo.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Beastmaster is exactly right on. The cinnamon color of the vascular tissue indicates P. Cinnimoni but there are other things that this could be. Phosphorus based fungicides have suppressed P. Ramorum and there is Subdue MAXX which does work on P. Cinnamoni however IF the vascular system and/or root system is badly infected recovery will NOT occur. Definite diagnosis needs to be made here, before treatments protocols and/or removal occurs.

TreePointer

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
SalSaenz

SalSaenz

I dug up some roots and have not found any white looking strings. I guess at this point I will see what happens this year, or should I remove? This tree cost me $100.00, so not sure If its worth spending money on trying to save. If the tree dies, Is it not a good idea to plant a new tree in the same spot? Thanks to everyone for their info.