Red oak crotch wood mill log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Marschall

Reaction score
We had to take this beautiful red oak down yesterday and I couldn’t stomach turning it into firewood. Of course, now I need to do something with it! Central Massachusetts here and can’t locate any interested wood mills Any ideas?

It’s 32” at the base, 25” just below the crotch, 45” across the crotch. Base to top of the crotch is 16’.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 1
John,
She does look like prime lumber. I would ask around and see if there are any hobbyists who mill in your area.

Unless they're close by, hard to get anyone that interested in red oak. Nice log, but that inbetween range of not being big enough to get really impressive single slabs milled where it is, but too big to easily haul away to be milled for lumber. Seems the Midwest is a better place to convert big downed trees to lumber - a friend in Cincinnati just had to have a big damaged white oak dropped and an Indiana farmer came out and milled it with a Woodmizer on a trailer for $40 an hour. I couldn't believe anyone would mill that cheap. He gave him a big bonus cause he couldn't believe it himself.

Unless they're close by, hard to get anyone that interested in red oak. Nice log, but that inbetween range of not being big enough to get really impressive single slabs milled where it is, but too big to easily haul away to be milled for lumber. Seems the Midwest is a better place to convert big downed trees to lumber - a friend in Cincinnati just had to have a big damaged white oak dropped and an Indiana farmer came out and milled it with a Woodmizer on a trailer for $40 an hour. I couldn't believe anyone would mill that cheap. He gave him a big bonus cause he couldn't believe it himself.
Yep, there's a black walnut (nearly as big) 50 feet away that I’d need to put concertina wire around if I posted where it was.

Back