Redneck Logsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man, i've seen that before, i like making gadgets, but when i see that i dont know what to think. not much room for error there.

See if you can get him to take his gloves off. I want to count his fingers and see how many are missing!

It is fast, appears to work good, and is very scary. One little slip or lapse in his attention - and that is all it would take for a serious accident.

Now, what happens when that thing runs into some elm crotch wood and stops dead. Frankly, I don't want to stay around to see the results.

However, if you love explosions, it would be fun to see this thing in action with some really dry Bradford or Cleveland pear wood. Each split sounds a little like a cherry bomb on a typical cylinder splitter.

If you do hit a hard knot or crotch - I believe the round will suddenly shoot out from under the splitter and head directly toward the operator.

That guy is wasting too much time, the conveyor is running and isn't carrying but a few pieces at a time.

Now, if he put sldge head on there, and put a four way down below the table there, he could slam through that, and the pieces would fall onto a sub grade conveyor, he'd get more done that way. (redneck efficiency humor)

It does seem effective, and it would be nice to see some protection for the operator, but the whole setup is a matter of timing, and it did stall on a difficult piece, so that's not so bad. It would take some getting used to, but I bet a sensible, and alert operator would be in sync in maybe 30-60 minutes with it, and be comfortable. I'll wager that if you set it up right, you could run it off some mules or draft horses walking in a circle.

Another observation. I think the guy is relying on speed too much and mass not enough. Sure, the impact is greater with more speed, but that adds to danger and energy waste.

Why not slow the thing down, get more torque from the same engine, and add mass back to the wheel to hit the log? Seems like then you have more control, more efficiency, and improved safety.

Just my $.02.

Now, what happens when that thing runs into some elm crotch wood and stops dead. Frankly, I don't want to stay around to see the results.

It DID stop dead. Just stopped until he pulled the wood back out, then it started again. Must be a clutch of some kind on it.

At a steam show a few years ago, I saw a guy making cedar shingles with a machine that looked a lot like this one. He was so smooth, he made it look easy. He even made it look safe, except that he didn't have many fingers left. He looked like he was in his 80's, so he had probably had a lot of practice learning to use it in the pre-OSHA days.

That splitter looks like a cheap copy of one I saw in a copy of farm show magazine. The old guy over there had a flywheel off'n a oilfield pump that weighed about a ton or so, operated much slower than that. The great thing about America is we are free to make what we want to, and comment as we like!:dizzy:

Looks like something you'd see a 3 fingered Amish kid running around these parts. Not impressed with production. If your gonna give up all safety you might as well be very productive.

Commercially produced

Hello All,
Just joined from Northern Alberta, Canada. My Grandfather had a similar type splitter that was smaller. He bought it used in 1969 and now my Uncle has it and wants to put it in the local Museum. Wondering if anybody knows where to start looking to find any info on this. Mainly looking for a Manufacturer. may have been T.Eaton's but there is no listing for one in any of their archives....any ideas? Will post pictures soon.

Latest posts

Back