Yamaha kt100 homemade chainsaw hot-ish saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I am totally out of touch with the modern kart & hot saw world, do they make chains that actually cut at that wild chain ipm? 16k rpm is nearly twice the speed of the old McC's I used to run.
The chain will be fine at that rpm it's not that much faster then any of the larger modern saws and won't spin 16k under in a log anyway.

I'll try to get the saw in some wood this weekend. Its dark by the time I get home during the week and all the snow has turned to heavy ice. It'll take some doing, but I'll see if I can drop a tree with it and then do a couple glamor cuts on video.

Ran the saw today. Kind of a mixed bag. As any first shot would probably go.

The oiler definitely works. The thing was drenched in cooking oil after I did a little video in the driveway. No cutting, just running the bar with the new 117 link chain I made, making sure it's and the bar is good. Its just some NOS oregon chain I found on ebay. Didnt do anything to it, ran it as is.

Went down on the property and dropped the easiest pecker pole I could get to. Still a bit of a trek through the snow, about as far as I can pack that damn thing and all my stuff through the snow.

Cuts great on its side and the full wrap bar was just wonderful. The way I did the handles makes it smooth as butter.

Of course, on the steep hillside, I read the tree wrong and it went backwards, grabbing the bar. Did a pie cut off the butt right after, and the chain ceased before it finished. ****! It ran out of oil, and nearly gas too. I wasn't paying attention.

Filled it back up and did another pie cut. Seemed to do pretty good, nothing spectacular, but the chain was dry when it was finished. Luckily it was not hot. The cooking oil is not cutting it, no pun intended. Need to pick an alternative. Still needs to be fairly thin, but not that thin.

It can definitely do better with a different oil. It fires right up though!

I just cleaned the saw and took the bar off, because its quite cumbersome. I see the issue of why the chain was getting tight. The drive links are getting the crap beat out of them. The bar shows no issues, but not sure how to remedy the drive link issue. I'm sure them being .058 instead of .063 doesn't help.

Maybe I am gonna have to switch chain and bar. 😔 sure would be nice dropping down to a 30", maybe even 24.

Attachments

• 20230107_191047.jpg
    20230107_191047.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
I would say that you have designed & developed a very nice working/competing piece of user friendly equipment! I am going to re-read this thread to refresh my mind as to what you did for a carb & muff.

Keep us informed on how you add the finishing touches, thanks for the vids.

Took the saw down on the property today and made about 20 cuts in a 24" log that blew over. Been fiddling with it and confirmed that is is oiling very well. The little copper exhaust tube is actually making enough pressure to blow the seal on the cooking oil reservoir! So it kind of loses some oiling after that. 😬

Didnt get video cause I left my gopro at my brothers, but the saw did impress. Glad I didnt go over .028 on the rakers, it was gett'n in there.

By the way, permatex non-hardening form-a-gasket 2 sealer DOES NOT resist gas AT ALL! sux butt is what it does. Disolves in a matter of hours. Yes, after curing for 24 hrs.

Didnt have a damn bit of luck with the seal-all on the lid either. It worked well to seal the bolt holes tho. It is confirmed fuel resistant. Had to go with sheet rubber gasket. Just need to figure out how to keep it from getting pushed out of there now. 🙁

Heres a couple pics.

Attachments

• 20230531_195540.jpg
    20230531_195540.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230531_200747.jpg
    20230531_200747.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back