Redwoods in coastal N. Calif.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philobite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos of my brother and I working some nice redwood on our NTMP. It's a slide-show with comments, so you can click on the "i" in the photo to get more info, and you can click the arrows to go back/fwd. We did about 100,000 MBF in '07, in single tree selection toward a more old-growth profile forest with better spacing to allow light in for unevenaged proliferation, following this management ideal.

It means we leave some really big, older trees to grow into perpetuity. There's one that's about 7 feet DBH, and it's sibling is over 5 feet DBH!

Enjoy, Eric

Last edited:
I like the redwood in the link of my signature a lot more !!

But sure, I like your album.

Although I'm for forest preservation, I'm not in any "camp" of loggers or environmentalists. I believe in "management".

We need trees, and some need to be grown for lumber. Actually, from looking at the rings in your photos, those trees are not very old at all - just young bucks.

Looks like you must shake the chips out of your shirt throughout the day.

I'd imagine that the temperatures are not too brutal in those forests at summer time.

Thanks for the comments, all!

Jacob: Second growth is really quite nice. It's not tedious, and there is not quite so much intense pressure to get each tree down perfectly as there would be with the virgin stuff. There's more flexibility in the falling plan.

Our place was logged twice before our NTMP. Once for the virgin cut around 100 years ago, then once at about 40% 30 years ago. Our neighbor has one virgin redwood that's about 15' across and towers above our skyline. I think it was passed by 100 years ago because it was burnt in the middle so was a bit hollow.

M.D. Vaden: I try to move from task to task every hour or so to prevent repetitive stress injuries (my fingers go numb on my right hand if I'm not careful), so I fell for a while, limb, then skid with the D7, deck them with the loader so I get a chance to get the chips out of my neck and shirt now and then. The D7 is totally manual so it beats up the hands and arms if I push it too long at one time. And of course setting and releasing the chokers makes for happy hands. ;)

The temps in the summer in the forest are not too bad. Never higher than the mid-90's and most often in the 70's to 80's. We almost always get breeze in the afternoons from the ocean, so I limit felling to the AM unless it remains calm in the afternoon, or in the rare case that I need a directional push from the wind.

Last edited:
Great Pics!

Whew! took for ever on dial up,but well worth it! Thnx for sharing the pics Eric.I went for a camping trip down on the Smith river one time in about 2000,right before I moved back home.Incredible sensation,wandering around some trails,you'd see people perhaps on the other side of some swale up next to trees that made them look like it was "Land of the Liliputions".I have a pic somewhere of myself and the ex's bro standing on the stump shot of a huge butt,perhaps 12-15 across,that had come down in a storm and laid across a bridge for a year or so before it got cleared.
Your a lucky man to be able to live there and practice your trade.

ak4195

Here are some photos of my brother and I working some nice redwood on our NTMP. It's a slide-show with comments, so you can click on the "i" in the photo to get more info, and you can click the arrows to go back/fwd. We did about 100,000 MBF in '07, in single tree selection toward a more old-growth profile forest with better spacing to allow light in for unevenaged proliferation, following this management ideal.

It means we leave some really big, older trees to grow into perpetuity. There's one that's about 7 feet DBH, and it's sibling is over 5 feet DBH!

Enjoy, Eric

I have worked on NTMPs and Commercial Thinnings too. The link to the management idea is for pre-commercial stands around 10-25 years of age. We worked with the "Blue-Ribbon" Panel that first published reports on this for the Headwaters and later it was used by Mill Creek on Redwood Natl and State Parks.

I have personally marked over 10,000 acres of redwood second growth and probably 1000 acres of OG.

Those are very nice trees you were taking down. I hope you got a good price for them. The market has been a little slow.

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to hear from someone with your experience in our area.

We're Smarwood Certified and CDF and our forester seem to really appreciate the energy and thought we put into caring for our forest. The CDF inspector came out for our annual and hung around for 5 hours just chatting and we got to pick his brain and learned so much from him. Very knowledgeable and a great guy. One thing that sort of gripes me is that we have to pay to have a biologist come out and hoot for Spotted Owls every year, even though there are none here. That's a DFG requirement. I understand the spotted fellows really aren't bothered by reasonable logging practices anyway, nor are they as sensitive as some make them out to be. Neat bird.

We did ok this past season: $0.95 for under 16" and $1.05 16" and over. It's been higher in past years. I'm worried about '08 though. We have about 5 acres of beautiful big fir that needs management but the fir market has tanked, and Harwood is out of it. This year I'm focusing some on thinning the tanoak and will produce firewood from that. The idea is to open canopy for the redwoods to gain dominance.

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to hear from someone with your experience in our area.

We're Smarwood Certified and CDF and our forester seem to really appreciate the energy and thought we put into caring for our forest. The CDF inspector came out for our annual and hung around for 5 hours just chatting and we got to pick his brain and learned so much from him. Very knowledgeable and a great guy. One thing that sort of gripes me is that we have to pay to have a biologist come out and hoot for Spotted Owls every year, even though there are none here. That's a DFG requirement. I understand the spotted fellows really aren't bothered by reasonable logging practices anyway, nor are they as sensitive as some make them out to be. Neat bird.

We did ok this past season: $0.95 for under 16" and $1.05 16" and over. It's been higher in past years. I'm worried about '08 though. We have about 5 acres of beautiful big fir that needs management but the fir market has tanked, and Harwood is out of it. This year I'm focusing some on thinning the tanoak and will produce firewood from that. The idea is to open canopy for the redwoods to gain dominance.

Spotted Owls are my specialty, although I never intended it to be. I did forestry work to make money and got a degree in Wildlife Management and have worked in the timber industry every year since. There are ways to get a two year permit [also known as a USFWS Technical Assistance Letter] but you have other options depending on how often you want to log. I often help local landowners with options up here in Humboldt.

If you want to log for two years and be done for 3-5 or more, you can get a two year permit requiring 3 surveys of the land each year for two and then get two years of open logging without surveys. Otherwise, if you wanted to log in one year and be done for a few you can opt for 6 surveys that year, but you need to be done by 1 February after your June survey ends.

Not to say anything about your forester and biologist, but they need to work to get paid. Sometimes there are other ways that require a little more work up front, but cost less in the long run. Feel free to ask any questions. Ialso work on:

n American peregrine falcon
n Bald eagle
n Bank swallow
n Barred owl
n Chinook salmon
n Coastal cutthroat trout
n Coho salmon
n Cooper’s hawk
n Corvids
n Del Norte salamander
n Foothill yellow-legged frog
n Golden eagle