Referral or finders fee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to another residential tree contractor around here the other day , he said and I quote I thought you folded up and moved on I haven't heard your name with bids from customers or seen you around any neighborhoods , what's up , I said I found my niche 3 companies to be loyal too and they are loyal to me , I still whack out some resi. Work but primarily all commercial . I feel like I have finally gotten close to where I'm super comfy with the business , I see these guys buying cranes big chippers, lifts , log grapples , I run 2 late model 350's a medium size chipper and stump cutter and I guarantee when the smoke clears we prolly still make the same money . No ads to pay for no wasted fuel chasing work . If I need a bigger truck or loader I tell them they drop off what I need , if treemandan was still here he'd vouch for that , he has helped me out where I was just a hired saw

Damn straight. :msp_thumbup:

Low overhead, low stress, and reasonable profits. It's a solid recipe.

We're working to live - not living to work.

we do mostly private residential but also work for several gardeners, developers and landscapers, occasional but regular. We don't advertise and seem to keep busy anyway. We get far more work from them than we would if we went after their clients directly so for us it works and we have several good relationships from it. Definitely agree with Shaun though that if you're building up a business you've got to be out under your own name. We don't do backhanders or bonuses or whatever and people here don't seem to expect it either, a slab of beers seems to be "thank you" currency in Aus.

I completely disagree.

We have three contractors (all landscapers) who sub-contract us regularly and have done so for years, and we make very good money with them. They have high-end clients and they do all the clean up, we just do the take downs. And that we help build up their business is great - they help build up ours. We all make a paycheck and everyone is happy.

There is no "detriment" going on. What is going on is employment and a paycheck for everyone. I don't see the problem.

I think the problem suggested is that, yeah sure, as you've said, employment and checks... all good, but those clients will be calling the contractors for any additional work and not you. So in essence you're doing work where there's no upside to the benefits of repeat clients, which is the lifeblood of our survival.

And I've done exactly as you've described providing my services to other contractors. The money is good and hard to pass up. I do know if I don't take care of these contractors, my competitors will. LOL!

I'm feelin' yah on the paychecks and the happy part! :rock:

StihlRockin' :D

==================================
treeclimber101 said:
...if treemandan was still here...

WTF? He's not here? Is he ok?

Last edited:
Wow, why is everyone so defensive.....I have learned the hard way people have very different views on operating a tree operation...each believing they are right....there really is no single right way and yes there may be wrong ways, for some. I like to think I can take good ideas and put them to use, but I don't think it is right to put someone down for the way they conduct their business, unless illegal or unethical.

I have many landscapers and lawn guys refer me to do work. I thank them. I try to refer some but you have to be careful who you refer to do work. I am blessed that so many feel comfortable telling their customers to call me.

I don't like the idea of landscapers marking up my price but in most cases, they would do the work if I didn't or get someone else.

I work for a ton of construction contractors and they just hire me, include my price in their price tag and we are all happy. Since I can't be a GC on a big construction project, I am happy to work as a sub-contractor when they need trees removed for them to build something.

I do stump grinding and get referrals from landscapers and tree guys that don't do stump removal. Most of them don't ask for a percentage of the job, they just want to have the job done right for there customers. I in turn refer them for work they do when someone asks me about it.
Some tree guy's use me as a sub and they know my rates and price it into there bid and I am sure add some profit for themselves. I do not have a problem with this as they sold the work and I do a lot of work for them that I would not have gotten without them as most customers want the entire job completed for one price.

Latest posts

Back