Reforesting from Seed vs. Seedlings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesotan

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum so I'll make it an introduction as well. I'm a Naval serviceman and currently in California (can't wait to escape back to Minnesota!). I'm also new to timber harvesting but want to get my feet wet since I have nothing but time for a harvest to develop.

Anyway, in considering selective cuts and clear cuts, I would need to replant the next generation of trees, although some areas of northern Minnesota and Wisconsin naturally grow Aspen dog hair-thick within a few seasons following a cut. In any event, I'm wanting to grow either pine or some form of maple. My question is this, when it comes to acquiring a ton of new species, what are some methods or even the best method of planting seeds (what I take to be rather inexpensive) and seedlings (quite a bit pricier)? And for sake of land size, factor in anywhere from 200 to 2,000 acres since we're looking to buy quite a sizable piece of property. My experience with seeds thus far has been reseeding a 2-acre lawn with a broadcast spreader so I really haven't a clue what's involved in plotting something 100 times that size. I don't imagine someone can just ride around a tractor or an ATV chucking seeds overboard, but it could be as simple as that. Thank you for any help you all can provide!

Sounds like a pretty ambitious plan there. As stihlkiwi said, you will most likely have the best results from seedlings. Keep in mind there are a lot of factors that go into reforestation, such as soils, slope, aspect, and previous land use, among others. I'm not sure about Minnesota, but in most states, the state forestry agency can provide not only planting advice,but also links to planting contractors, seedlings and possibly even some funding. Good luck and thank you for your service to our nation.

I have done contract planting thru the USDA programs in WI, but only seedlings. I think about a year ago they had a seminar on direct seeding and were experimenting in my area with hardwoods specifically as the hardwood seedling survival was poor, whereas direct seeding of the hardwoods looked more promising. Maybe your area office has some info to share. There was also an article in that same time frame in one of the forestry journals, might have been related. Hand planting whitepine seedlings under a hardwood canopy has been very succesful around here, seedlings are about 15cents each i think. Try google- good luck!

Plating seedlings is very expensive if ya want to do that much land. The land will replant itself if you don't clear cut. Your biggest enemies will be those deer we love to hunt in fall but hate in spring when they eat all your seedling tops. In Price co. Wis. I can't even plant a White or Norway pine. Deer eat the tops and grow weird, eventually die. Let it replant itself for th emost part. Our regeneration for White pine in Price co. is very poor. We have to cover them from Dec.1.- May1. In MInnesota it may be different with pines. SOme place the deer eat them , others they don't. Go figure.

Plating seedlings is very expensive if ya want to do that much land. The land will replant itself if you don't clear cut. Your biggest enemies will be those deer we love to hunt in fall but hate in spring when they eat all your seedling tops. In Price co. Wis. I can't even plant a White or Norway pine. Deer eat the tops and grow weird, eventually die. Let it replant itself for th emost part. Our regeneration for White pine in Price co. is very poor. We have to cover them from Dec.1.- May1. In MInnesota it may be different with pines. SOme place the deer eat them , others they don't. Go figure.

This is what you'll for sure run into. From my experience deer don't chow down on the red pine near as much as they do the white pine, guess it depends on the winter and other available food supplies for them. Field Guide to the Native Plant Communities of Minnesota is a really good resource. I used it a number of times for school projects. There's a few versions depending on where your land is. I'm guessing you'll need either the laurention or the broad leaf version. Maybe you can find it at your local library.

SOme place the deer eat them

Planted 4000 D Fir 3 YO seedlings one year in Lewis co WA and the doggone deer ate 95% of them. Had planted about 1000 the year before 100 yards away and almost none were eaten.

Go figure? Weather those years ?, eaten were on a western facing slope, non-eaten on an eastern facing slope? That was about 20 years ago, let the eaten off place go to alder since, which for what was a weed then, has become more valuable from straight stands than D Fir! Go figure? .

I like smoked venison YYYYuuumm !

We had a patch years ago where the deer damage was as several of you indicate, but the good news was we recieved 'extended hunting priveledge' from the DNR. They used to pay monetary damages also, but doubt that is as easy an option now as it was years ago.

There is a patch of direct seeded hardwoods planted about five years ago on the south side of the highway between lacrosse WI and Caledonia MN.

I will stop and talk with the party next time i am i that area.

There is a patch of direct seeded hardwoods planted about five years ago on the south side of the highway between lacrosse WI and Caledonia MN.

I will stop and talk with the party next time i am i that area.

That stand is pretty impressive how thick it is coming in.

In MInnesota it may be different with pines. SOme place the deer eat them , others they don't. Go figure.
11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

12.jpg

you know about that stand too?

Well Mr. Dumass, since I pointed it out to you, yes I know where it is. You see I have an incredible grasp of the obvious and can generally remember what I say unless it is a lie.:buttkick:

Well Mr. Dumass, since I pointed it out to you, yes I know where it is. You see I have an incredible grasp of the obvious and can generally remember what I say unless it is a lie.:buttkick:

sometimes you are a Thorne is the side-

Yes, I also vote a seedling because that means you don't have to start out from a seed and you can plant the plant right in the ground and it will start new roots which will grow up and become a new tree

Back