Refurbished Stihl 260's on ebay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about his saws but I've sold several 260s and 026 saws for a lot less than that. If you pay that much for a rebuilt one might as well buy a new one.. Even at lower prices I find the market kinda flat right now so I'm not selling any saws for awhile..

Ebay rules require items to be listed a certain way (if you are honest about it). Look up the definition of "refurbished" according to Ebay standards and that may shed some light on your question. Be specific in your questions to the seller -- this will get to the point so you can get the answer you need. Many saws are listed as "used" when in reality according to Ebay standards they are "refurbished". Ebay is a market where many buyers come that may not be able, or have time to buy a saw locally thru Craigslist etc. Just a few thoughts.

I list mine as used even though I might list them as refurbished because, although some of them have a lot of new parts, they usually aren't completely rebuilt. I generally don't replace the parts that are good but if I have to replace a p/c I go ahead and replace the seals, especially on a clam shell engine.

Ebay rules require items to be listed a certain way (if you are honest about it). Look up the definition of "refurbished" according to Ebay standards and that may shed some light on your question. Be specific in your questions to the seller -- this will get to the point so you can get the answer you need. Many saws are listed as "used" when in reality according to Ebay standards they are "refurbished". Ebay is a market where many buyers come that may not be able, or have time to buy a saw locally thru Craigslist etc. Just a few thoughts.
There really doesn't seem any penalty from ebay for stretching the rules. The feedback system and the buyer returning it seems to be the enforcement mechanism if there is any.

Without a specific listing to discuss hard to say. The one linked above I looked at seller refurbished only seemed to have new cutting attachment everything else was basically copied and pasted from the manufacturers description and stating excellent condition.

The way I read it if it is refurbished it is in excellent condition and again the way I read it something needed repair or replaced between the time the seller got it and they listed it.

Seller refurbished

An item that has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party not approved by the manufacturer. This means the item has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in original packaging. See the seller's listing for full details.

I would guess most of us would just buy a new 261 or similar new brand x.
Is a spur sprocket on a 50cc saw labeled pro normal for Stihl?

Yes, and I have never had any problems with posting links here?

Sadly, it looks like they are the power demoted US version of the MS260, not the "real deal". At least the posted specs are....
So tell us Troll are the 260's in Norway specked differently. I don't know really, just asking.

So tell us Troll are the 260's in Norway specked differently. I don't know really, just asking.

Not only here, but I believe everywhere but in the US, they were rated at the the same 3.5 hp as the 026 and the earliest (before about mid 2004) US MS260.
As I understand it, the main reasons were a more choked up muffler and a different top end (larger at 44.7 mm vs. 44, but not as well ported) on the US made EPA saws.

At that time, it was important vs. EPA rules to make the cc over 50 (50.2 in this case).

So if one had an early MS260 cylinder that was at 44mm and a non "choked up" muffler he would have a better running saw?

There really doesn't seem any penalty from ebay for stretching the rules. The feedback system and the buyer returning it seems to be the enforcement mechanism if there is any.

Seller refurbished

An item that has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party not approved by the manufacturer. This means the item has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in original packaging. See the seller's listing for full details.
Quite a few are sold as USED in the category that is listed above. Your prognosis is probably accurate when it comes to enforcement. With Ebay actually, the bottom line IS the bottom line. :cool:

So if one had an early MS260 cylinder that was at 44mm and a non "choked up" muffler he would have a better running saw?

I assume so. What I don't know is how much of the .2 kW/.3 hp differense is in the muffler, and how much in the top end.
For all I know, it could all be in the muffler - I believe Lakeside Andy used to claim it was that way....

So if one desires to sell these saws, and certain ones decide to buy these saws -- they are priced by the seller, purchased by the buyer at the "stated price" -- is there a problem with that??:reading:

I usually do a little work to my saws before selling on ebay but I usually just list them as "used". I've never listed one as seller refurbished unless I rebuilt the whole thing. I have one like that now but I'll probably still just list it as a used saw.

Back