relocating wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am thinking of relocating our wood stove to make it more efficent to heat the whole house. Right now I have it straignt up thru the addition with no bends. Current codes allows for up to 2-90degree bends. the new location does not allow me to go straight up so I have to go through the wall and up the side of the house about 15'. My question is that should I go straight up from the stove, 90 to the wall or 45degree from the stove and then 45 to the wall. I hate to move it but the den gets about 80 to 90 degrees and the living room is about 65 to 68. I would like to even it out. Let me know your thoughts. BTW any good suggestions for chimney parts?

Thanks.
~Millman

How about setting a small fan on the floor to circulate the heat to the cooler room.

I heat with a wood stove and have a fan at the end of the hall the I run on low to circulate the heat. It does wonders to even the heat out through out the house

An outside chimney of only 15' may have trouble drafting, so I would try the two 45's to help. Is there anyway you can go straight up through the house? Keeping the pipe and chimney inside the house aids draft and you get a little more heat from the pipe.

If you move the stove, you might find that the living room will be 80 to 90 degrees!

So far as piping, straight up is best, 45's are next best, then 90's as a last resort.

Then have any bends in the pipe as near the stove as possible (like just above the stove rather than up in the attic). There is more heat lower down near the stove so will get a better draft around the bends.

Keep in mind cleaning. Easier to clean a straight pipe. With 45's, probably will need to disassemble the pipes to clean it good. This is quite messy to say the least!

Thanks guys

Thanks all, I do have a blower on the stove and that circulates the heat. I guess adding a 10$ or 20$ if I want fancy fan is better that spending over $1000 for additional chimney parts and the hassle of dealing with our Zoning officer. Thanks for the comments about the bends. I had planned on having the 90 as high up as possible to eliminate the need of another 3' chimney section. Now I understand what you mean by keeping it close to the stove. The current set up is straight up through the den. Thanks again.

Greg:spam:

Latest posts

Back