Reminder to be careful!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Reaction score
Yesterday I was extremely fortunate not to have been seriously injured or even killed and really feel lucky to have walked away. I was guilty of getting too comfortable, after thirty plus years of cutting, I've been fortunate, the only serious accident was 32 years ago and I still wear the scar on the left thigh where the chain got into meat.
It was really windy in our area yesterday, winds prolly gusting up to 20-25mph at times, but as usual we're under the gun to keep up with production and the property we're cutting on has alot of standing dead oaks, killed as a result of many years of cattle standing in the timber and the waste killing the timber off. I shouldn't have even been falling under the conditions, but physically felt excellent and wanted to get as much dropped as possible. I was falling what I really felt was a solid 30-32" red oak, the face cut didn't show any signs of decay, looked rock solid, as did the remaining canopy, when I started on the back cut a wind gut caught it, the result was it went all at once, the back side had a hollow void, the tree must have jumped 4' laterally knocking me completely off my feet, sent the saw flying, the main trunk actually brushed up against my lower legs as it settled on the ground. If that wasn't bad enough the main truck hit about 12-14" red oak dead center breaking it off about 6' above the ground causing a wicked barber chair. I literally had to sit down for a few minutes before I picked a saw back up. It was a heck of a lesson for the rest of the crew, I shut it down and had one hell of a safety talk, admitting 110% what happened was a result of being careless and falling trees in winds that were way to strong to be doing it in. It sure isn't worth taking chances. I know we all get "comfortable at times", if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, just walk away, there really is no shame in either admitting fear, or lack or expierence in falling a tree, no matter how many you have done, it just takes one to kill or maim you. The way I look at yesterday, the man upstairs has another plan in mind, or I'd been squashed flat as a rat turd. The saw only suffered a dent in the front muffler cover, which was replaced today. Got off extremely lucky.

Glad you pulle'd through it. Had close call's before too. i am sure alot of us have. I am sure you weren't just being careleess. I know you state'd that, but it's not like you were there for the fun. Making a living at it like you are probably put's you in a different situation. But I agree with ya, the wind does play a big factor. It's a good point you made about being to comfortable. We all have been guilty of this at time's. And of all the tree guy's kille'd im sure many of the were comfortable.

I'm so thank full it turned out the way it did, I chalk it up to just thinking I'd done it enough I could get by with a "iffy" situation. Shouldn't even have though about it, it was just plain stupidity on my part.
I've been around sawing enough we all push our own envelopes sometime, I just hope the post will encourage others to have the courage to just walk away when it doesn't feel right or isn't within their comfort zone. A few pieces of wood just aren't worth getting maimed or killed. I didn't even think about trying to hang onto the saw, there was no doubt it was going for a trip, I feel like I'm a pretty stout guy, it took it out of my hands like it was at the end of a chain hooked to a semi going 70 mph. One of the guys commented I must have not said a word for about ten minutes.lol Today was raining off and on, muddy and slippery as hell, we took the day off, hit the saw shops did a little trading and took a nice break.

Good to hear you are ok,and thank you for telling your story .It is a good reminder for me as I will be cutting blown downs this week.

Just curious, as to that back cut, was it a bore cut or traditional, head in from the back and cut to the hinge?

Glad you are safe,

Sam

It sounds like you mostly do production cutting, so I guess it's easy to get complacent. I guess that won't happen for a while, eh?

Most of what I see is urban tree removal, and very often done long after the tree was safe to work around. I get nasty trees all the time, but they always wait until the wind calms down or other factors come under control before I go near them. I have even been known to set one of my loader buckets overhead in the cut zone, just because I was afraid of big branches hammering me.

Keep looking up!

Sounds like a nasty close call, glad you're still here! These things really are a lot bigger than us.

I've had similar situations, and I am glad for the both of us!

Imagine how big a sailboat that same wind can push!

I have pics of a 48 inch Red Oak that went extremely bad. Only missed killing a couple of us by a fraction.

Work Saw Collector and I were taking it down.

I'll see if I can post them.

Close one!

Glad you didn't get smashed.

I had a perfect sunny dry day last week for cutting. All my other chores done. Didn't cut, 10-20 MPH winds. I just pass once it approaches even ten, the sail area pressure even on trees with little leaves left on them is just too great.

No money or pile of wood is worth getting squished for. Just ask yourself, some rich guy standing there with a wad of cash, all you have to do is stand there and let a tree fall on you and it is yours. How big does that wad of cash have to be to make it worth it? Would you take a three-six ton tree on ya for a million dollars? Two million? I wouldn't, not for ten million, or a billion for that matter. let alone a hundred bucks or whatever that particular tree might be actually worth.

Working on the ground in a wind? Sure. Dropping trees..I'll pass. I have had that "falls really weird on ya" scenario in wind before, it just sucks.

With that said, there really needs to be a small portable "wood penetrating" radar scanner or similar device for reading trees internal structure before felling, find both rot areas and also "foreign objects'. I use my metal detector to find where to cut or not on fenceline trees, but it doesn't show rot.

Maybe such a device exists, I don't know, but would be a useful tool to have if it did.

I know on really large trees of questionable nature you pro guys will do an exploratory plunge cut, but perhaps a drill with a really long auger bit would be faster and better and safer.

I had a 25"+ Hackberry almost get me me one time.
Had a great wedge out, backcut was perfect, drove in the wedges and it started to lean.
I bent down to pick up my saw and heard it pop. I looked up just in time to see it coming straight for me and my escape path blocked by the fencerow I was cutting the tree out of.
All I could do was toss the saw and put both hands against the tree trunk and let it push me through the tanglement of undergrowth.
Just before it hit the ground I put my feet where my hands had been and heaved myself over the fence.
Later on my buddy said it was just the slightest little breeze that took it. I didn't even feel it where I was standing.

Lesson learned: Have an escape path planned for every direction a tree may fall and make DAMNED sure they are clear!!!

I snuggled extra close to my lovely wife that night when I went to sleep!

Mike

Yesterday I was extremely fortunate not to have been seriously injured or even killed and really feel lucky to have walked away. I was guilty of getting too comfortable, after thirty plus years of cutting, I've been fortunate, the only serious accident was 32 years ago and I still wear the scar on the left thigh where the chain got into meat.
It was really windy in our area yesterday, winds prolly gusting up to 20-25mph at times, but as usual we're under the gun to keep up with production and the property we're cutting on has alot of standing dead oaks, killed as a result of many years of cattle standing in the timber and the waste killing the timber off. I shouldn't have even been falling under the conditions, but physically felt excellent and wanted to get as much dropped as possible. I was falling what I really felt was a solid 30-32" red oak, the face cut didn't show any signs of decay, looked rock solid, as did the remaining canopy, when I started on the back cut a wind gut caught it, the result was it went all at once, the back side had a hollow void, the tree must have jumped 4' laterally knocking me completely off my feet, sent the saw flying, the main trunk actually brushed up against my lower legs as it settled on the ground. If that wasn't bad enough the main truck hit about 12-14" red oak dead center breaking it off about 6' above the ground causing a wicked barber chair. I literally had to sit down for a few minutes before I picked a saw back up. It was a heck of a lesson for the rest of the crew, I shut it down and had one hell of a safety talk, admitting 110% what happened was a result of being careless and falling trees in winds that were way to strong to be doing it in. It sure isn't worth taking chances. I know we all get "comfortable at times", if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, just walk away, there really is no shame in either admitting fear, or lack or expierence in falling a tree, no matter how many you have done, it just takes one to kill or maim you. The way I look at yesterday, the man upstairs has another plan in mind, or I'd been squashed flat as a rat turd. The saw only suffered a dent in the front muffler cover, which was replaced today. Got off extremely lucky.

Thanks for the safety reminder. I'm a firm believer that anything that is worth learning in the first place is worth relearning every now and then.

Glad you're OK. The winds here in Northern Missouri are miserable this weekend too! I sure wouldn't want to even try to fall a tree in them.

Latest posts

Back