Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way cool!

The needle bearings are the worst part for old geezers with poor eyesight and the coffee shakes.

The Rem. 75A has the same setup on the flywheel nut. I think maybe all the 'Bantam' types are that way.

I put a bed of light grease on the rod base, and stick the needle bearings in the grease to hold them in place; pull the rod and crank together gently; repeat the process on the crank, then bolt everything in place. Don't know if you've tried it, but it works for me....another old geezer.

Had time to do more on this saw.

Started with the carb. Took it all apart and found a little
brass plug missing inside. I had a spare carb so I took it off
that one.

attachment.php

Got all the parts cleaned, the gasket was in good shape so
I will just use it again.

attachment.php

I soaked the carb in parts dip over night, most of the paint
came off. Now its all done.

attachment.php

The tank housing I cleaned and painted, I need to let it
dry a little more be for I start putting it back together.

attachment.php

I cleaned up and painted the trans clamp too.

attachment.php

Started to reassemble the saw.

First bolted the engine back in the housing.
Then installed the magneto and coil. No timing needed.

attachment.php

Next the reed block and carb bolted on.

attachment.php

Got the air intake parts on,also the fuel line and shut off valve.

attachment.php

The flywheel went on next.

attachment.php

Got muffler and cylinder head cover on.

attachment.php

Bolted up the handles.
Hook up the throttle linkage and kill switch wire.

attachment.php

Last thing bolted the starter on. pulled it a few times to
see how the compression felt. it was good.
Removed the spark plug checked the spark again, Nice blue.

attachment.php

Well its all done.:msp_biggrin:
Tomorrow I will attach the Bow bar and take some pic's

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cool! I always wanted to know what my 12a was supposed to look like. Where do you get those decals?

That looks a little silly with that "2nd man" handle on the end of that short bar. I presume you never found a full length bar for that saw ?

So...

The history we have learned on these short two-man saws is that they were used for free hand slabbing. Apparently in the early days a second man on the other end of the saw was an aid to help in keeping the cut straight for a better board without a guide. So in answer to your question, this restoration was done to be historically correct, not necessarily to satisfy someones, uh... bar envy.
:laugh:

Hey Mr. Bowsaw,

That is absolutely gorgeous work on that Mall! Look forward to seeing the completed pictures, WELL DONE!
Brian and Tina

Oh man! That is some beautiful work Mr. Bow Saw. Makes my heart skip a beat. I'm assuming you fired that piece of art up.....didn't you? Thanks for sharing the rebuild. Makes me want to go tear into another one. Keep up the great work!:msp_thumbup:

Oh man! That is some beautiful work Mr. Bow Saw. Makes my heart skip a beat. I'm assuming you fired that piece of art up.....didn't you? Thanks for sharing the rebuild. Makes me want to go tear into another one. Keep up the great work!:msp_thumbup:

Thanks sawdust.:smile2:

I have not started it yet, I want all the paint to be real dry be for
I put fuel in it.

So...

The history we have learned on these short two-man saws is that they were used for free hand slabbing. Apparently in the early days a second man on the other end of the saw was an aid to help in keeping the cut straight for a better board without a guide. So in answer to your question, this restoration was done to be historically correct, not necessarily to satisfy someones, uh... bar envy.
:laugh:

Bar envy had little to do with my comments, I just thought that any saw as heavy as those Mall saws are should be able to cut a bigger log. If me and another man had to tote around a 70lb. saw for a little 20" log, I'm not entirely sure that I wouldn't prefer to just get a "misery whip" and have at it.

Of course I am far from being a historian of the old chainsaws, but I don't think very many folks ever tried ripping planks with my version of a Mall 12a. It has 3/4" pitch chain on it, and I am certain that it turns pretty slow with that old engine and the gear drive. It certainly does not have ripping chain on it.

I always believed that the rotating bar alignment was so that the float carburetor would always be "up". This slow turning old behemoth would be a nightmare to control for kickback (BIG bite on the chain, and slow turning!), and I always thought that the 2nd man handle was as much for eliminating the tip of the bar as a cutting zone as it was for helping to carry the saw during a cut.

I suspect that the popularity of the bow saws declined when kickback became less of a problem with the faster lighter saws. The very slow, gear reduction saws relied on huge torque and big chain to make a cut. Of course this eliminated any practical use of the top of the saw, so a bow saw was a safe improvement on a two sided bar that could only be used on the bottom edge.

My father told me a story from his youth about this very topic: it seems that he was on a work crew of some sort using a chainsaw, and the foreman rudely took the saw from him for not using the right technique...and then immediately proceeded to get a tremendous kickback from the saw, which threw him backwards onto his buttocks, impaling him right up the rectum on a sharp stump. OWW!! Not being a terribly sympathetic person, my father seemed pleased that he was no longer obliged to listen to the foreman after that fellow was hospitalized. My guess would be that my dad continued to use the saw in the same manner as he had prior to his "lesson" by the foreman. He wasn't well known for his gentle manner, nor his ability to follow rules.

Last edited:
Hey Cliff - This is the new millenia and my buddy ProMac is correct .... dint happen without video!

That is one outstanding restore!

Great thread guys!!!

I have a restored Mall Model 6 that I'll post pictures of. I'm still playing with the carb, chain, and timing to make it run like it ought to.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their saws here.

M

I have a remington Gl-7, and I am looking for the pull starter dogs that mount on the flywheel if any of you have some you want to sell please PM me .

Back