Remington Outlaw/JonCutter 4500 rebuild and review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Customer bought the saw new recently, said after 2 tanks it failed to start. Compression was low, piston scored. Offered to rebuild it, kits are dirt cheap and i figured 90 minutes labor. He said no...

So, i ordered a 58cc big bore kit off ebay, up from 46cc stock. The entire kit with piston, rings, cylinder, gaskets and hardware...was $17.99.

The kit bolted on, gasket deleted it, drilled the cat out of the muffler...put it together and it fired on the 3rd pull. It was wayyyy lean out tye box...no wonder it ate itself. I retuned it and it is actually a really nice saw, its a full magnesium split case with a bolt on jug, domed piston. Made a half dozen full bar length cuts on seasoned oak logs and it never hesitated.

Essentially now it is a Joncutter 5800...they are clones of the Zenoah G4500/G5800.

18 bucks...runs great. I only quoted him $100 tops to clean and rebuild it and he said it wasnt worth it. Its a 200 dollar saw, im surprised he didn't want it fixed.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hello. The 58 cc clones are 45x34 bore x stroke. The 45 cc and 52 cc are 43x32 and 45x32. More info in the Eartquake thread. With the proper crank(34 stroke) they run real good.

Hello. The 58 cc clones are 45x34 bore x stroke. The 45 cc and 52 cc are 43x32 and 45x32. More info in the Eartquake thread. With the proper crank(34 stroke) they run real good.
Thats strange, i cant imagine it going up any tighter on stroke, as it is its snug.

Customer bought the saw new recently, said after 2 tanks it failed to start. Compression was low, piston scored. Offered to rebuild it, kits are dirt cheap and i figured 90 minutes labor. He said no...

So, i ordered a 58cc big bore kit off ebay, up from 46cc stock. The entire kit with piston, rings, cylinder, gaskets and hardware...was $17.99.

The kit bolted on, gasket deleted it, drilled the cat out of the muffler...put it together and it fired on the 3rd pull. It was wayyyy lean out tye box...no wonder it ate itself. I retuned it and it is actually a really nice saw, its a full magnesium split case with a bolt on jug, domed piston. Made a half dozen full bar length cuts on seasoned oak logs and it never hesitated.

Essentially now it is a Joncutter 5800...they are clones of the Zenoah G4500/G5800.

18 bucks...runs great. I only quoted him $100 tops to clean and rebuild it and he said it wasnt worth it. Its a 200 dollar saw, im surprised he didn't want it fixed.

The whole engine assembly was only about 70$ the last time I checked, they are fun saws with lots of modification potential.

Latest posts

Back