Remington "rodeo master" 5520 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverKing

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
couldnt quite pass it up this mornin on the bay.New Remington 5520 for $76 plus $8.95 shipping.Comes with a case.Hadnt seen any remington saws forever,with the exception of electric saws.So now Im wondering if anybody out there has any experience with these saws.Made by MTD best I can tell.Mine will be here monday.Pretty anxious.These saws sell on ama.com for $250 plus shipping so I figured I couldnt go wrong for a 55cc saw .Nothin else it will be an $85 lesson learned, it might cut 10 loads of wood and pay for itself,or it could be (doubtfully) my holy grail of saws lol.But seriously if anybody has any feed back on this saw would love to hear it.

After the Earthquake chainsaw run a lot of people from here had (including myself, I have 2) I have been watching these Remingtons. I love the old Remingtons, and own a ton of them. I know these have no relationship other than the name, but I wouldn't mind picking one up myself just to play with. I just need the price to come down some more. I'm used to the $40 Earthquakes.

Let us know what you find with it. I'm guessing much like the Earthquakes the muffler will be choked up, and with a little work they would be fun little saws.

It is a plastic chassis clamshell design, but with a separate upper cylinder casting. It was probably made by Jenn Feng in Taiwan (they owned the McCulloch brand for a while). I have other JF made saws and the castings and plastic parts are of quite good quality. I'm betting it can be made to run very well with some basic mods. Probably parts availability will be the biggest negative.

Im already looking for a 16" bar and pro chain for it.But Im gonna wait and make sure it even starts first lol.Parts wise,I agree with Chris,could be a little hard to find.But the 'bay seller does offer a 14 day money back guarantee,so you can bet Im gonna put it to the test for the first few days.Thanks for the replies,and will be posting my reviews soon

Why does that name "Rodeo Master" for a chain saw make me think there's going to be a
Quentin Tarantino movie scene?
'"..well boys and girls, it just don't look like he's gonna walk that one off.."
[followed by sounds of saw recoil catching and rope pulling, saw coughs to life ]
..buddddup...braddup..brappaah brapppahhh....
[muffled screaming noises]

Why does that name "Rodeo Master" for a chain saw make me think there's going to be a
Quentin Tarantino movie scene?
'"..well boys and girls, it just don't look like he's gonna walk that one off.."
[followed by sounds of saw recoil catching and rope pulling, saw coughs to life ]
..buddddup...braddup..brappaah brapppahhh....
[muffled screaming noises]
lol I was wrong about the name,its a "Rodeo Pro".but I did receive the saw today.Heres my take on it.Saw has a 20 inch bar,crappo safety chain,seems to balance pretty well other than its a little heavy for a 55 cc saw.It does feel better weight and balance wise than my 290 Stihl.Once I got past all the starting instruction stickers that you find on all harry homeowner saws,the saw does seem to be built pretty solid.It has some sort of ez start deal,the starter dont catch until about the last 8 inches or so of starter rope.I filled her fullof gas,pushed the primer bulb 3 times,(it called for pushing it 10 times),choked it,and she fired on 3 pulls.Took 5 pulls total to get it running ,not bad for right out of the box.I revved it up ,it stumbled a bit ,but would catch up pretty quick.Set it down to let it idle,and it died.It started back on 1 pull and idled fine after that.I put it in some 8" swamp ash(fairly soft wood),and it cut decent.Rained me out so I was only able to make a few cuts.The chain is Carlton safety chain ,which seems to come out of the box dull.Im thinking once this saw breaks in ,and with a good pro chain,this saw should cut right along side a 290 or 455 rancher.Only time will tell how reliably it holds up.For the money I have in it,Im pretty happy.Gonna swap out the 20" for a 16",stihl rs chain,and run the pi$$ out of it this week,will let yall know the outcome.John Travolta would be proud to own this saw.

Some guy on another site tried a new China Remington. (((The latest saw,which I picked up today was a Remington 51CC Model RM5118R. It stopped in the middle of a cut and now will not fire.)))

Look like same style saw. Rodeo 51cc.

So your ahead of him already. Good luck.

lol I was wrong about the name,its a "Rodeo Pro".but I did receive the saw today.Heres my take on it.Saw has a 20 inch bar,crappo safety chain,seems to balance pretty well other than its a little heavy for a 55 cc saw.It does feel better weight and balance wise than my 290 Stihl.Once I got past all the starting instruction stickers that you find on all harry homeowner saws,the saw does seem to be built pretty solid.It has some sort of ez start deal,the starter dont catch until about the last 8 inches or so of starter rope.I filled her fullof gas,pushed the primer bulb 3 times,(it called for pushing it 10 times),choked it,and she fired on 3 pulls.Took 5 pulls total to get it running ,not bad for right out of the box.I revved it up ,it stumbled a bit ,but would catch up pretty quick.Set it down to let it idle,and it died.It started back on 1 pull and idled fine after that.I put it in some 8" swamp ash(fairly soft wood),and it cut decent.Rained me out so I was only able to make a few cuts.The chain is Carlton safety chain ,which seems to come out of the box dull.Im thinking once this saw breaks in ,and with a good pro chain,this saw should cut right along side a 290 or 455 rancher.Only time will tell how reliably it holds up.For the money I have in it,Im pretty happy.Gonna swap out the 20" for a 16",stihl rs chain,and run the pi$$ out of it this week,will let yall know the outcome.John Travolta would be proud to own this saw.
Cool! I have a ported 46cc Poulan that pulls a 20" bar with Oregon 20BPX really well. If that can do it your 55cc should have no trouble! Maybe put a narrow kerf B&C on it, that might be a blast!

I'm curious what the manufacture date is - my bet is that these are old stock and that the saw was made several years ago, as I don't think they are made any more. I'm also curious if it is made in Taiwan or mainland China.

Sears around here seems to have dumped the Husky saws and has replaced them with Remingtons......and Hitachi's.....ug
Actually the Hitachi/Tanaka saws are kind of interesting, but I cannot believe the prices asked for them on eBay. I really wondered what their "Pure Fire" technology was, and finally found a video that explained it: there isn't any. It's just quad ports and a cat.

But, even the lowliest clamshell models have quad ports and removable transfer covers, which means they should be fun to port. If they were, like.... free.

couldnt quite pass it up this mornin on the bay.New Remington 5520 for $76 plus $8.95 shipping.Comes with a case.Hadnt seen any remington saws forever,with the exception of electric saws.So now Im wondering if anybody out there has any experience with these saws.Made by MTD best I can tell.Mine will be here monday.Pretty anxious.These saws sell on ama.com for $250 plus shipping so I figured I couldnt go wrong for a 55cc saw .Nothin else it will be an $85 lesson learned, it might cut 10 loads of wood and pay for itself,or it could be (doubtfully) my holy grail of saws lol.But seriously if anybody has any feed back on this saw would love to hear it.
Sounds like you got a buy ! look up this one 400536106753 I just looked on up.

by what I have seen these remingtons are sold around here by sears and minards. these saws are ok for accasional use but if used medium to heavy they suck. I have seen a lot of problems with these saws from coils, piston and cyl. problems, clutch and sprocket problems. but for around $100 that wasn't bad. I just cant see spending $250 for this junk. you would be further ahead to put $250 into a use husky or stihl.

Sorry to wake up a old thread but I am curious what the results were. I recently picked one up cheap and I am wondering if it is worth messing with.

Sorry to wake up a old thread but I am curious what the results were. I recently picked one up cheap and I am wondering if it is worth messing with.) I sold mine to friend before I was able to really get the use I hoped to get out of it.He cuts maybe 5 cords of hardwood firewood every year ,and he is happy with it so far.The original bar/chain/ and sprocket must go.Junk and will throw the chain 3 times on 1 tank of gas.

by what I have seen these remingtons are sold around here by sears and minards. these saws are ok for accasional use but if used medium to heavy they suck. I have seen a lot of problems with these saws from coils, piston and cyl. problems, clutch and sprocket problems. but for around $100 that wasn't bad. I just cant see spending $250 for this junk. you would be further ahead to put $250 into a use husky or stihl.

Back