Removing Chainsaw Chain And ID Help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there. Just a little question regarding my other chainsaw I have. It is an older model Canadian Tire Mastercraft chainsaw that from my readings here is a saw made by Poulan. What I am looking for is id as to what model Poulan it is cross referenced to so I may be able to try and find a manual for it online. The reason also for this is I would like to know how to remove the chain from this saw to replace it as I am thinking of doing so. It does not look easy as to me, it appears that one would have to take the whole saw apart to replace it. Any help in eithe of these matters is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
43160110.jpg

43162510.jpg

43178710.jpg

43222110.jpg

Apparently, these are rebranded Poulan or McCulloch chainsaws for Canadian Tire? There are some manuals on-line, but I am reluctant to download from some of the sites.

I would just start taking some fasteners off of the right side of the saw until the bar and chain are accessible. Looks like a socket will reach the bar nut through the chain brake handle?

Here is the chain info I found:
Screen shot 2018-10-05 at 9.38.17 PM.png

Depending on the length of the bar, the chain might be sold as Oregon S45 (12" bar), S52 (14" bar), or S56 (16" bar). Very common chain.
STIHL 3/8 'PICCO' chain will also fit (as will other brands).

Philbert

I agree, it is probably a Poulan chainsaw, maybe a variant of the Poulan 2300 CVA.
The clutch cover/whole side cover assembly should come off after removing the nut visible through the hole in the chain brake handle. Then you can use the instructions in this owner's manual to remove/install the bar and chain: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/480068/Poulan-Pro-2300-Av.html?page=7#manual

Thank you. Received the files. I had looked at the 2300CVA, and it was close enough and I had teh manual for it, however I did not have teh service manual. The most confusing thing to me was the removal of the right side cover, but now I think I can remove it in one piece. Weather permitting I will possibly try this tomorrow....

Thank you for the help, suggestions, and compliments on my old saw. Now to actually get up and do it.....

Those are nice little saws. Both of the ones I have needed new fuel lines and then they fired right up.

You may want to get a better chain such as Stihl PS or PS3. Those bumper tie strap chains cut slow.

I have a couple little running issues right now I want to clear up first, then a chain was next on my list.

Latest posts

Back