Removing combustion chamber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFM

jack of all trades...master of none
Reaction score
Good evening. I recently purchased an aftermarket cylinder that has a rather horrid looking squish band. Thinking of removing combustion chamber via band saw to allow for corrections. Other option is turning said jug on a lathe. The project saw is 272xp. I was hoping to gain some advice as to which method those who have tried both prefered. I have a mill, lathe, bandsaw, tig welder ect ect
Thanks in advance
:drinkingcoffee:

If I were to undertake a project like that, I'd cut the top of a scored cylinder, giving myself room for machining, and cut the bottom off a good one, again leaving room for machining.. by the time you clean up the kerf of the saw cut you'll have taken a lot of material off (probably close to 1/8", if you're careful).. that way you can put the old top (which might be a nicer, OEM squish band) on a cylinder with good chrome.

If it's just to play around with I'd cut the chamber off and make a new head from scratch if I had your tooling. If it's going to be a work saw then I'd clean up the jug on a lathe.

Back