Looking for a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bave30

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all......buying some land and need some advice. I'm not a complete noob but pretty inexperienced, especially by your standards...I've cut maybe 15-20 cords of wood over the years and done some fairly light work around my house removing and chunking up limbs and small trees. The land I'm buying is 35 wooded acres. I will be clearing 1-2 acres for a building site and a driveway and will want to make some ATV/dirtbike/tractor trails, but the rest I plan to just maintain...take care of deadfall, thinning, etc. I do hope to build a couple of cabins at some point and would like to do some milling on-site for that. I haven't looked closely at the trees that are there yet and I've only seen half the acreage anyway, but most of the stuff I've seen and recall is pretty small. A few fairly girthy gnarly pines but I haven't seen a lot of big hardwood yet. Might be lots in the back. So this post might be pre-mature in that I should have more info soon about what I'll have to deal with, but chances are that I'll work around any big stuff unless it looks like it NEEDS to come down. I'll probably be back for advice on that if something looks suspicious.

I currently have a Makita DCS5200 and an old Craftsman 2.0/12 I use for trimming and stuff. I'm thinking that I'll want a bigger saw for frequent light or occasional heavy milling duty, and for dealing with anything big that needs to come down. With the research I've done (mostly here), it seems something in the 70-90 cc range might cover it....with the MS066/660, 395xp and 7910 being most commonly mentioned from the top end of that range. I'm trying to keep my spend close to ~$500, but I'm flexible if I can find something high value at a higher price point. I'm planning on buying a tractor too and there's only so much spending on stuff like this I can do before I start getting questions. (if it was curtains I was talking about, the budget would be unlimited).

The 7910 appeals to me since I've really liked my 5200, but it seems to be a newer model and I haven't seen a lot on the used market....this is a saw I'd consider stretching my budget for and buy new based on what I've read about it. Seems high value. I haven't seen too many 395s, but this seems like a good option if I can find one. The 066s seem to pop up quite often, but often look well used or quite expensive at times.

I took a saw class recently at my local dealer (awesome class, btw) and he had an 066 that seemed in decent shape, but he was asking $800 for it. That seemed high and looking around here seemed to confirm my suspicions....anything he could have done to it that would make it worth that much? I'd love to give him some business, but I can't throw money away either. He also had a 390xp that was in similar shape for $500. When I told him I would probably be doing some milling, he walked me over to the 066 (over the 390). He's a dealer for Stihl and Husky both and when pressed said he prefers to run Huskys....but would choose the 066 over the 390....I guess that's not surprising as I guess the power is more important for milling than the other things that differentiate saws like weight and vibe control. Yeah? What about oiling a big bar? I'm still searching and reading but I've only seen a couple of mentions of this being different between saws. Is it as important for milling as I would expect it to be? Is there a saw or saws that stand out as having better oiling or less heat issues or whatever? that is, what factors other than cubes should I be thinking about? BTW....I'm not too worried about weight....even if I end up doing some felling and bucking with the big saw....it's not going to be an everyday thing for me. I've got a year before I start building.

I've been keeping an eye on the Trading Post and seen some really nice saws come and go. My gut feeling is that my money may be best spent there. I've seen a few builders selling their projects saws and that appeals a lot to me.....they seem to be well regarded by this community and that would give me more confidence in buying used, sight-unseen. Is a heavily modded, smaller displacement saw going to be as well suited to what I want to do as a stock big displacement saw? Are modded saws more finicky than a stock saw, in terms of keeping it tuned and running properly? Or maybe the torque of a long stroke, larger displacement engine is just much better suited to this work. What do you think? For what it's worth, I feel like I'm pretty handy (I do my own work on my bikes and cars) and am willing to fiddle if there's enough to be gained.

Anyway.....post is too long already. I appreciate any and all advice you're willing to give.

I always answer these questions the same. Save time and effort and buy a husqvarna 262xp in good condition and you will have it covered. Commercial saw, easy to work on if need be and will last forever. Superb power to weight ratio. And can get a pretty decent on for 250-300 dollars.

If the 390 is in good shape.....$500 is a good deal! I would go with that saw over the overpriced 066. The 385/390 is probably the easiest saw I've ever worked on, have tons of power and smooth anti vibe.

Sorry didnt read the whole op post. I kinda get bogged out in so many words. The only prob with 385/390 is the bearing/seal unit. Pricey if you have to replace. Otherwise good saws.

Having put a lot of time on the 7900 platform and a fair bit on the 066/660 platform and having a bit of experience with the 394/395 platform, and having dabbled a bit with milling, my 2c:

I think the 7900 is a bit light for milling. It's a great saw and I presently own a few of them. It is a great firewood saw, a great falling saw, and handles well. But figure on running a 28-36" bar for milling 18-24" material, and with that you're going to be wanting more than the 7900 can give you in terms of power and in terms of oiling ability.

The 066 and 395 are in a different league - bigger, bulkier, and a lot more grunt. I think the 066 is the more versatile platform - mine was perfectly fine set up with a 20" bar for firewood, a 28" for bigger work, or a 36" on a mill. The 394/5, especially in high-top form, feels even bigger. It also always seemed to me to have more grunt than the 066, at the cost of bulk and weight.

If you can save a buck by talking a dealer down on price then save a buck by all means. Saving a buck by finding the cheapest used saw you can find isn't going to save you anything once you realize how much you'll end up putting into it.
Plan on spending about $700 for a good used ms660. The 660 at 91.6cc's is a bigger saw than the 390 at 88cc's, which is basically 4cc's. The 394/395's are only 2cc's larger than the 660. Most get the impression the 390 and 660 are in the same class, but they're not quite when it comes to milling.

Sorry didnt read the whole op post. I kinda get bogged out in so many words. The only prob with 385/390 is the bearing/seal unit. Pricey if you have to replace. Otherwise good saws.

7 posts in 10 years! No wonder you have so much to say! ;)

I read 1/2 of the first sentence....

Yeah, sorry guys....got carried away.

Landmark.....how common is that bearing problem on the 390? How will I know if it's going and needs to be changed?

Having put a lot of time on the 7900 platform and a fair bit on the 066/660 platform and having a bit of experience with the 394/395 platform, and having dabbled a bit with milling, my 2c:

I think the 7900 is a bit light for milling. It's a great saw and I presently own a few of them. It is a great firewood saw, a great falling saw, and handles well. But figure on running a 28-36" bar for milling 18-24" material, and with that you're going to be wanting more than the 7900 can give you in terms of power and in terms of oiling ability.

The 066 and 395 are in a different league - bigger, bulkier, and a lot more grunt. I think the 066 is the more versatile platform - mine was perfectly fine set up with a 20" bar for firewood, a 28" for bigger work, or a 36" on a mill. The 394/5, especially in high-top form, feels even bigger. It also always seemed to me to have more grunt than the 066, at the cost of bulk and weight.

I'm surprised to hear that about the Dolmar....but that just the kind of thing I need to learn. I've been looking mostly at 066s, but that's partly because that's mostly what I've found. Sounds like it would be good choice. I haven't seen any 395s around yet and Landmark's post makes we hesitant about that 390.

Yeah, sorry guys....got carried away.

Landmark.....how common is that bearing problem on the 390? How will I know if it's going and needs to be changed?
Just ck to see if the seals are good. The bearing and seal are made into one unit and i believe cost around 50.00. When i had mine built i had it completley torn down and new bearings seals installed. Someone else might be able to answer how prone it is to happen but eventually all saws need seals changed due to age. Btw i have sold good running 385's for around 450.

If you can save a buck by talking a dealer down on price then save a buck by all means. Saving a buck by finding the cheapest used saw you can find isn't going to save you anything once you realize how much you'll end up putting into it.
Plan on spending about $700 for a good used ms660. The 660 at 91.6cc's is a bigger saw than the 390 at 88cc's, which is basically 4cc's. The 394/395's are only 2cc's larger than the 660. Most get the impression the 390 and 660 are in the same class, but they're not quite when it comes to milling.

Yeah, I'm with ya......I definitely don't want to spend too little and get a basket case. That's not my intent.....I want to pay what's fair and get a solid saw. I just don't know what these things are worth and what to look for to tell if it's got lurking problems. I'm guessing the dealer saws are generally well sorted....but maybe a reputable guy from AS would be even more reliable.

I've seen a couple of 066s go for $5-600 recently, but that's on e-bay and who knows what condition they're in. Do the 660s bring more money than the 066s since they're newer? Any changes in the safety features that should steer me away from an older saw?

The main thing to check is how solid the crank bearings are by giving both sides a firm wiggle. Check the bar studs for and cracking around them, pop the muffler off to see the exhaust side of the piston and then pull the air filter and peek down the intake to look at the intake side of the piston.

If you plan on milling primarily softwood like pine and its under 25" diameter (maybe even 30"), you will cut it just fine with the 390. I just got a 2188 Jonsered (same saw as a 390xp, just different by name) and it it a monster in softwood. I've only milled a bit (2-3 foot lengths) since its a new saw, but it mills through the wood as if bucking. As I did, get some milling chain and don't look back. You can't go wrong for $500. Yes, the 660 is a bit more power, but if you don't have any big hardwood to mill then the 390 would be exceptional. And if you just need to fell and buck any big hardwood, the 390 will handle that quite fine as well

The main thing to check is how solid the crank bearings are by giving both sides a firm wiggle. Check the bar studs for and cracking around them, pop the muffler off to see the exhaust side of the piston and then pull the air filter and peek down the intake to look at the intake side of the piston.
thanks Jim.....I'll have to look at my saw to see if I can see what you mean about checking the crank bearings....can't picture it now. Thanks for the tips.

If you plan on milling primarily softwood like pine and its under 25" diameter (maybe even 30"), you will cut it just fine with the 390. I just got a 2188 Jonsered (same saw as a 390xp, just different by name) and it it a monster in softwood. I've only milled a bit (2-3 foot lengths) since its a new saw, but it mills through the wood as if bucking. As I did, get some milling chain and don't look back. You can't go wrong for $500. Yes, the 660 is a bit more power, but if you don't have any big hardwood to mill then the 390 would be exceptional. And if you just need to fell and buck any big hardwood, the 390 will handle that quite fine as well
hmmmm.....I guess I'll wait until I get another look at what's in there before I commit to a saw. You make a good point that if there's isn't much hardwood...or if it's small...I won't need as much saw. I'm going to be busy with other things in the beginning anyway so the milling won't come until later. I can always buy another saw later if I "have" to. :D

Back