Removing limiter caps on 346XP NE, Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerran

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone have a how to guide link on removing the limiter caps on the 346XP NE? I'm pretty saavy when it comes to small engines and engines in general but I like have a guide so I can do it the best way possible.

Also does anyone make a pre-modded muffler for the 346XP? I'd love to do it myself but I don't weld and my time is limited these days and my home remodel is more pressing.

Take the top cover off and the screw out of the mounting bracket for the primer bulb. Move the primer bulb to the side and you can get right to them. I took a die grinder and just trimmed the ears off.

On the muffler mod, I opened up the factory hole a little for now. Probably gonna do a dual port in the future.

Husky xp saws are usually pretty spry right out of the gate. Keep you chain sharp and set you max rpms to 14k and you are good to go. Going deaf at a rock concernt is fun but going deaf for a living running a chainsaw stinks. My 2 cents.

this mod is done with a 288 deflector and firescreen. the hole is made as large as can be fitted under the deflector. i attach it with sheetmetal screws. some people prefer to weld it, but that eliminates moving it to clean the screen. the location can be moved slightly. the deflector can be placed so that there is very little bending necessary.

attachment.php

If your 346XP has a cat muffler, you can order a plain hollow muffler like the earlier ones from Baileys and swap them out.

You can also get the deflector and screen form Husqvarna and just drill another hole in the muffler to make it a dual port like you see on nmurphs 346.

This will of course kill the warranty if your saw is new.

I don't have the cat muffler. I've had the saw for 2 seasons now and it's out of warranty so it's time to mod the muffler and open it up some.

To cat or not to cat?

I recently purchased a new husqvarna 346xp E-tECH. The question i have is this does it pay to install a non cat muffler? Are the HP gains worth the time and money?

Latest posts

Back