Repainting old saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What type of paint do you guys recommend using to repaint a magnesium case saw? I restored a snapper lawn mower with a briggs and stratton and used rustoleum farm and implement aerosol paint and its far from durable at best. Thanks! Saw will see use but nothing crazy.

Anything shy of a two-part epoxy spray isn’t going to last, so don’t think you can go shopping for a specific brand of rattle can spray in a big box store. As soon as gas splashes onto it that cheap paint will come right off. Even being around exhaust gasses will wear it down and out eventually.
If you really want to use paint, look into a company called Eastwood coatings. The colors are more limited, but it will be pretty durable and you can spray it yourself with an air compressor and an HVLP gun.
Also, as mentioned, take it to a powder coating company. Plasticized powder granules are sprayed on with a special gun and baked to harden: it’s much thicker and harder than paint and will last a lot longer. Also there are tons of colors for a very close match. However, it only works on metal and it’s more expensive as a paid service than a flat material fee for a DIY job.
Here in Long Island NY there’s a dozen companies that do powder coating to shake a stick at, but there’s one guy on the forums that seems to always get recommended if you can’t find anyone local.

I went to the Eastwood coatings website. Don't want to sound toooo dumb but the caliper and engine paint said resistant to chemicals and automotive fluids???? How accurate is this?

I just go into powder coating. It’s not as hard as it sounds. I got the Eastwood gun on sale for $120 and I picked up a large toaster oven for 40 bucks. Preparing the part is same as for painting, removing greas oil and extra. However all plastic and rubber has to be removed. You need high temp silicone plugs for bolt holes as the powder will clog the threads. I have used regular masking tape. However it leaves a sticky residue so I got the high temp stuff. I plan on getting a oven, like in your kitchen to do larger parts. You can also get infrared lamps to cure parts. Plenty of video and tips on you boob as well

Attachments

• F168C460-60E0-40A6-BE03-AFE7484879C4.jpeg
    F168C460-60E0-40A6-BE03-AFE7484879C4.jpeg
    637.5 KB · Views: 23
  • ECDCF651-0344-4FBC-A562-5E57116D93DA.jpeg
    ECDCF651-0344-4FBC-A562-5E57116D93DA.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 23
The preparation is the key to a good finish. I sanded the chipped areas even first with rough paper then worked my way to fine grit.
Yes patients is key. I know it can be exiting especially when the project is almost don. But take your time with the prep it will pay off in the long run

What type of paint do you guys recommend using to repaint a magnesium case saw? I restored a snapper lawn mower with a briggs and stratton and used rustoleum farm and implement aerosol paint and its far from durable at best. Thanks! Saw will see use but nothing crazy.
Try following the color coat with a couple coats of clear polyurethane while the color coat is still tacky. This has held up well against fuel and oil for me. Best to let it cure a couple weeks. Use a self etching primer first.

I don’t clear coat it, I do prime the first coat of paint looking for flaws to correct them.

Back