Repairing a striped plug socket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've an old 038 super with a striped plug socket that was badly repaired with a helicoil which has mashed up the surrounding flat surface so much a plug won't seal. I've had it ages and been undecided on just replacing the jug, or finding a machine shop to fit a timecert or...?

I've just found these aluminium brazing rods and wondering if the thread and flat could easily be built back up, retapped and the flat machined. Has anyone used them and would they work on the jug?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIU...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0Ta

They offer a kit that will completely remove the old threads and re-tap to a larger diameter so you can insert these steel inserts. I just did it to a Homelite XL-12 and it worked. The only issue I had was that my plug was canted not up and down so I had to remove the tip that starts the threading off original threads. The 2nd tool is what I used.

2d48f10c6fadd75926868e4c423e8367.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]
8f67e1a84a6c2ecd1872071264b8c05b.jpg

+ 1 on the inserts, if there is enough metal left over from the helicoil
the more expensive timesert ones use a finer thread (same tpi as the plug) and the ebay ones have a coarser outer thread

These things
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Pl...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0Yes I considered those but I'm not sure if since some Muppet already helicoiled it, will there be enough material to fit one? Wurth time sheets do a 'fat sert' that is bigger and designed for just the this situation, but a time sert' kit is not worth buying for one job. However I just thought...I could try the cheap insert, if there isn't material I could build it up with the braze rod and then insert...aha! I wonder if the braze rod would even flow to the insert to braze it in place? Hmm, that would be impressive, unlikely but impressive! TBF I'd be ecstatic if I could just get it to stick to the the cylinder and not melt the cylinder on the process!

you would have more chance with the normal worth insert imo, because the helicoil tap is the same tpi as the worth tap,
the ebay tap will follow the helicoil thread for 1 turn then will gouge the thread, because its a coarser 1.5mm tpi/pitch

you would have more chance with the normal worth insert imo, because the helicoil tap is the same tpi as the worth tap,
the ebay tap will follow the helicoil thread for 1 turn then will gouge the thread, because its a coarser 1.5mm tpi/pitch
are you suggesting if i just buy a normal wurth time sert, not the fitting kit, that it would thread straight in? I googled and googled but could not find the outer thread size/pitch for the time serts and decided it was highly unlikely it would be the same, but if it is and might work then i think i might be able to get just the insert for not too much

are you suggesting if i just buy a normal wurth time sert, not the fitting kit, that it would thread straight in? I googled and googled but could not find the outer thread size/pitch for the time serts and decided it was highly unlikely it would be the same, but if it is and might work then i think i might be able to get just the insert for not too much
yes my time sert tap is a modified sparkplug (4 slits cut and spread outwards) wurth stuff is silly money eh
i think the ebay ones were designed for a (cheaper) normal m15 thread, they are a tad bigger and more suited for a typical stripped thread, that has,nt been helicoiled

I've an old 038 super with a striped plug socket that was badly repaired with a helicoil which has mashed up the surrounding flat surface so much a plug won't seal. I've had it ages and been undecided on just replacing the jug, or finding a machine shop to fit a timecert or...?

I've just found these aluminium brazing rods and wondering if the thread and flat could easily be built back up, retapped and the flat machined. Has anyone used them and would they work on the jug?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIU...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0Ta
Way back when I was a machinist full time, we would regularly weld, redrill and tap holes. That said, you are money ahead to get one of the threaded insert options mentioned above, machining is expensive, welding is expensive, and they both assume that the part CAN be welded, the welder ISN'T a moron, and the machinist ISN'T a hack..

drill it bigger, thread and install insert, can be done at home with a hand drill and some patience

??This is common sense. You have to completely disassemble to make any repair to the jug; just buy a new one?

my stock time serts are 15.6mm dia x 1.25, so they would be a sloppy fit according to that
and my ebay inserts are 16mm x 1.5,
Hmmm I am not surprised. That brings me back to the braze, although I now think brazing the insert in is the best way to proceed as Google seems to think aluminium and steel can be brazed together.

Hmmm I am not surprised. That brings me back to the braze, although I now think brazing the insert in is the best way to proceed as Google seems to think aluminium and steel can be brazed together.
brazing alloy is a rabbit hole imo neil, i think you have 2 choices personally, bodge it or spend a bundle

Latest posts

Back