Repairing a striped plug socket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These things
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Pl...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0Yes I considered those but I'm not sure if since some Muppet already helicoiled it, will there be enough material to fit one? Wurth time sheets do a 'fat sert' that is bigger and designed for just the this situation, but a time sert' kit is not worth buying for one job. However I just thought...I could try the cheap insert, if there isn't material I could build it up with the braze rod and then insert...aha! I wonder if the braze rod would even flow to the insert to braze it in place? Hmm, that would be impressive, unlikely but impressive! TBF I'd be ecstatic if I could just get it to stick to the the cylinder and not melt the cylinder on the process!
I have used theseIMG_20211113_221509.jpg
With relative success... Relative being the operative term there as I've had a couple that didn't work as they should. As frank suggested it's not a bad idea to swage them from inside the cylinder if you can & I'd definitely recommend using loctite.
I did a 288xp the other day that had the helicoil unwind on the plug, wound one of these straight in to replace it... was a little tighter than usual but worked all the same.
I made a small reaming tool to get them to recess flush, would work well to correct a damaged plug sealing surface.
IMG_20211113_221551.jpg
IMG_20211113_221616.jpg

Exactly. I think ought to try and fix it well but cheap, if that fails then probably hunt out an aftermarket jug, or even an aftermarket magnum p+c and stick my OEM cylinder on eBay to get a few quid back

I've an old 038 super with a striped plug socket that was badly repaired with a helicoil which has mashed up the surrounding flat surface so much a plug won't seal. I've had it ages and been undecided on just replacing the jug, or finding a machine shop to fit a timecert or...?

I've just found these aluminium brazing rods and wondering if the thread and flat could easily be built back up, retapped and the flat machined. Has anyone used them and would they work on the jug?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIU...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0Ta
Ive got a bunch of oem cylinder kits if youd rather do that...ill send you one if you decide that...just need to know which one...1980 was 61cc, 1983 was 67cc, and 1985 was 72cc

Also a guy has to be careful how much loctite you use so the plug will still ground
Ive got a bunch of oem cylinder kits if youd rather do that...ill send you one if you decide that...just need to know which one...1980 was 61cc, 1983 was 67cc, and 1985 was 72cc

bout the best spark plug repair kit i have used is from wurth or time sert sells same style. There is a tap that starts at he std. spark plug thread and cuts the repair thread as you wind he tap in. Second cutter slides over the first tap and cuts a recessed seat for the insert. The third tool installs the insert and expands it into the inside diameter of the new repair thread....not cheep for a on shot deal. Part of the deal is it makes a seat for the spark plug 90deg. to the thread....i would't bother welding it. Find a shop that fixes dirt bikes and they will have described repair kit....

good luck
the can

Back